• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Get a cargo job with low multi time??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would for sure not buy SIC time with a company. It is no big deal if you want to buy some block time and split it with another guy and go fly and get some time that way, but DO NOT buy a job, that crap is ruining this industry. I got my job with 50 hours of multi, I built that riding SIC at a 135 charter company for a few bucks a trip, but I did get paid. I wirked in the office when they needed me to and hopped on every flight I could. You can do it, just be patient. SO many new guys get impatient and say screw it I'll just spend 18,000 and buy 250 hours at this job and then maybe i'll get hired. Keep your honer and get paid! If they won't pay you then they are not worth it! As the previous posters said,most small 135 freight outfits don't want a lot of multi time because they want you to stay for awhile. Have you tried that outfit in Kansas City that flies Commanders? I think they will take low time guys. Good luck and if you need any other help let me know.

SD

I'm one of those who just got hired by Ram Air. I applied before they changed to the new online application system, so I don't know how I would have scored using today's method. I had a grand total of 2 hours in a Lance but more than 250 hours in various pipers, including nearly 100 in a Seminole. I'm also local and I know that played a factor in them deciding to interview me. As you can tell by my profile, I also have a CFII and MEI which they seem to like. Total ME time when I applied was around 140 hours.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to starting class in October. Reno, it appears you fly for them. Any words of wisdom for a new hire? You can PM me if you'd like.

I forgot to add, but a month or so ago I ran into a pilot with Package Express and he said that they weren't hiring at the time. From what he said, they are not as big as Ram Air. It wouldn't hurt to try, though.

How did I get an "8" on the Ram Air Freight app???
PA34...85
PA44...15
PA28...550
TT...1250
actual...45
hood...65

I don't get it.

Ram Air scoring

I emailed Jason at Ram Air to ask about the low scores. He said that the system is pretty new and they are still working out the bugs. Might not hurt to still send a resume. He didn't say to, but wouldn't hurt.

I just filled out a Ram Air application, just to see what I would get for a score on the thing, and it came out to a 14. I guess with 2400TT, 1000+ Multi, 135 current in multiple airplanes, and multi turbine PIC, I am not good enough to go work for them. Oh well to bad for me I guess.

Re: How long to wait?

airpilot said:
upndsky,

How long after you sent your resume to Ram Air did you get a call?

I waited a little less than a month. The "call" was actually an e-mail sent by Jason to myself and 7 or 8 others to inform us that we had been selected for a phone interview that would take place a week later. The phone interview was with Jason and it was really more of a conversation. I think he just wanted to know what kind of person I was and whether was enthusiastic about the job (which I am). From what I got out of the conversation, they're looking for pilots with a positive attitude who don't mind flying less-than-glamorous planes at less-than-glamorous hours of the day. At the end of the converstation I was offered the job.

I must add that I live in Raleigh and have known several pilots that used to fly for Ram Air in the past. I had also talked with Jason previously about an unrelated subject so I wasn't a complete unknown to them. I don't know how much that influenced them in deciding to interview me, but I know that it did help.

Last edited:
Howdy all!
I love being a sysop sometimes... I had some fun with Ram Air's scoring system.
The following is the code Ram Air uses to determine the score for the application.

function calcAll(form1)
{
with(form1)
{

score = 0

//score = score + (1 * (cfi.value));
score = score + (5 * (cfii.value));
score = score + (3 * (mei.value));

score = score + (2 * (total.value<2000));
score = score + (2 * (multitotal.value<200));
score = score + (2 * (actualtotal.value>50));
score = score + (2 * (actualtotal.value>75));

score = score + (5 * (PA32total.value > 25));
score = score + (7 * (PA3290.value > 25));
score = score + (3 * (PA34total.value > 25));
score = score + (5 * (PA3490.value > 25));

score = score + (5 * (PA28total.value > 100));
score = score + (3 * (PA44total.value > 25));

score = score + (3 * (instatp.value > 100));
score = score + (3 * (instatp.value > 300));

strength.value=score;
}

In English this scoring system states:
1. CFII is good, MEI not as good, CFI is ok. ATP and Commercial are worthless to the score.
2. Total time UNDER 2000. Multi UNDER 200. Actual IMC ABOVE 50 and more points if ABOVE 75.
3. PA 32, PA 32 (90 days) best, PA34, and PA 34 (90days) above 25 is good. PA 28 above 100 is ok, PA 44 above 25 is good. The best is PA 32 within the last 90 days.
4. Points for instructing instrument and ATP students above 100 hours, double points for above 300 hours.

PA 32 time in the last 90 days is the single most important item on their list. Time in type and instructing students count for more than actual IMC time.

Hope that helps.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Even simpler is:
76 hours actual
26 hours in the last 90 and total PA 32
26 hours in the last 90 and total PA 34
101 hours in PA28
26 hours in PA 44
301 hours instructing instrument and ATP students
CFII, MEI
Less than 200 MEL, less than 2000 total