• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

George Will

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm sorry Yip, your numbers are grossly miscalculated.
The real money IS very significant + the incalculable losses that lack of leadership, greed, and selfishness directly and indirectly costs IS ENORMOUS.
In 2003, APA pilots accepted cuts approx $250M = 38% paycuts. Before the ink was dry AMR management installed an ongoing Management retention program that has rewarded failure to the tune of $260 Million PER YEAR. The max this program paid was $300M, and even in this recession- still pays $50-100M annually-
It's redistribution of wealth at its ugliest.
Now the APA and all it's members have sacrificed immensely and their airline is in no better shape for it- but managers have lined their pockets.
Sorry - but if managers want to go manage other companies- let them-
Leadership matters, business does matters- I know- but it's not more important than the leaders and inflight "managers" behind the yoke.

Don't completely agree, de-reg moved the ticket price down to complete with the Greyhound Bus. Now middle class people could afford to fly and they bought lots of tickets. My school teacher sisters are a classic example until the mid 80's they drove to FL to visit mom, now they fly.

Deregulation moved ticket prices down too far, to the point where consistent profitability and industry stability became impossible. That's not good for anyone, including passengers. Beginning in the early 1970s, the CAB began to loosen restrictions and allow increased competition on routes. Because of that, ticket prices had already started to ease up even before deregulation. Controlled competition under the auspices of the CAB was the path to success, and it still would have lead to the "average man" being able to fly, just like today.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with deregulation, and everything to do with an overall economic explosion that began in the early '80s.

Say it.

Lots of liberals admit it now.

SAY IT!

Say you love Reagan!

You're too weak in your "convictions" to admit such, me thinks.

Reagan = highly overrated. Not a bad President, but not a very good one, either.

So no messiah? Got it.

Perhaps the 100 millions who died under communism would disagree, but they don't get a voice though, due to being worm food.

Fair enough, YIP, it is a tough racket. Airline history books are filled with examples of brilliance and buffoonery. Unfortunately, there is more of the later than the former, as many of our brethren who have lost their savings, their pensions, and their dignity can attest.
true enough, and I too have bounced around this flying career through 11 jobs.

The real money IS very significant + the incalculable losses that lack of leadership, greed, and selfishness directly and indirectly costs IS ENORMOUS.
Again we agree on something, you notice I said upper management leadership often leads much to be desired.

Reagan = highly overrated. Not a bad President, but not a very good one, either.

I don't think this lady would agree with you. While giving tours on our squadron static display P-3 located at Selfridge ANGB, I told a story of operating against the Soviets during the "Cold War". We were flying Patrols out of BDA and KEF to confront the Soviet Submarine force. After telling the story, a voice in broken English came from a lady in the tour group. She said "Tank you, tank you, tank you. I tank Good evbry niht for you, All my life I brayed that you woud neber gibe into the Ruusian’s. The Ruusians bery bery baad to Czechs, they did terrible things to us, killed my frinds, now tanks to the Uunited Stats they be gone, you neber gab up, and I have my freebom to wisit and libe in your great country”
BTW My apologies to anyone offended by my Czech accent

Last edited:
Yes, because Reagan single-handedly ended the cold war. :rolleyes:

Yes, because Reagan single-handedly ended the cold war. :rolleyes:
You know that is not true. There were others like Margret Thacher, Lex Wasuesa (sp?) and Pope John the whatever who also played parts under his leadership.:laugh:

How the heck did this thread get moved over here?

Anyhow, I think Mr. Will is way out to lunch on what has happend to the Majors

I'm sure he just loves flying around on RJs

Latest resources

Back