• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gemini Class On Feb 27

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
uhhh... 4airplanes, age 65, 10 guys moving over to the 11. That should cover about 10 years or so.

I know when I was there it was about a 7 yr upgrade.
I loved the airplane and the crews (I was the most junior DC-10 F/O for a couple of years).
The schedules were a little rough. I was typically out 18 days, and typically had 10-13 days off a month.
I loved slummin' around Europe typically with a great crew. It seemed like you had a day or two off between flights to Africa and you could do some cool stuff.
I was just asked by a friend if I would do it again, and my answer is yes. I still miss getting a Gelato and chicken in Oostende with a good crew.
Don't get me wrong however, I'm not about to take off the brown uniform, and don my blue leather jacket again.

uhhh... 4airplanes, age 65, 10 guys moving over to the 11. That should cover about 10 years or so.

Okay. So, the 2 upgrades currently going on down in MIA for the 11 were hired in 2001. The Feb/March upgrade class includes people hired 09/04.
No one knows how long upgrades will be anywhere.
You can only ever look back, in the space of 2 months we have gone from 7 years down to 3 1/2 years.
Based on someone hired today who knows?

We are going to be running upgrades and new-hires for a while to get the manning up.

...and don't forget UPS and Fed-Ex not planning on hiring anytime soon

Not everyone goes to UPS or FedEx. We have not had anyone go to FedEx in the last 3 years. One person just left to go to Cargo Italia. I did not realize you had the schedules for upgrades, new hires and transitions.
This could all change if DP sells its DHL holdings in the US. All I am saying is nobody knows the true answer to the question being asked. Right now we are down to 3 1/2 year upgrades. This is only revelant to those hired 3 years ago.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back