Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Simon Says

New Airbus Regional Jet
If you fly a CRJ 200/700/900, where do you store the gear pins? Are they in the flight deck in a holder or does your company store them outside of the flight deck in the galley somewhere?

I want to ASAP something....and no, I did not take off with the pins in. I am trying to prevent this from happening anymore at our company.

But that NEVER ensures that there are NO gear pins in the ldg gear. Just a nice place to put the 4th, 5th, and 6th spare gear pins. :)

On most of ASAs 200s there is a place as stated above, however on some of them that have the modified closet the pins don't have their own place. Mostly they are just on the floor where the jackets are hung.

But that NEVER ensures that there are NO gear pins in the ldg gear. Just a nice place to put the 4th, 5th, and 6th spare gear pins. :)

Isn't that the truth. At the company I work for they aren't even stored in the flight deck.....just back in the galley. Trying to get that changed so at least we have a fighting chance of not taking off with pins in.

Isn't that the truth. At the company I work for they aren't even stored in the flight deck.....just back in the galley. Trying to get that changed so at least we have a fighting chance of not taking off with pins in.

It's not where they are that is important. It's where they are NOT. Namely, in the gear.

Anyone who relies on seeing gear pins in the "right" place in the cockpit, will eventually takeoff with a maintenance pin, towing pin, or screwdriver, installed in the gear.

And despite the best preflight in the world, it can still happen. Some mechanics like to pin the gear for tire changes...so, you got your people loaded up and suddenly need a tire change. Bingo!! Gotcha!!

Post maintenance checks are a great idea!

And despite the best preflight in the world, it can still happen. Some mechanics like to pin the gear for tire changes...so, you got your people loaded up and suddenly need a tire change. Bingo!! Gotcha!!

Post maintenance checks are a great idea!

Very good words of wisdom!

SkyWest has a gear pin holder behind the FO seat. GEAR PINS-REMOVED is also on our checklist requiring a reply from both pilots.

Like someone else mentioned, it doesn't prevent different pins from being used.

is it not enough to check the gear to see if the pin is in? i dont mean to sound snide, i am asking because i know i havnt been around long enough to see all the "gottchas" associated with this. what could happen after the walk around that would cause you to not get the gear up?

Latest resources

Back