• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gary Kelly's ATN Comments at Message To The Field

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Midwest pilots had NO planes left. You can't compare them to the Airtran pilots, even though you wish to. The key for you is the mixture of the top two groups, kinda like your own 2 groups. Get it, yet? You will.

OYS

OYS,

Relax big fella.

I agree that accurate comparisons are very difficult to make, you were the one over simplifying the award.

Even using your standard and only comparing the top two groups (which is suspect), there is one group with no pilots anywhere near the bottom. For the bottom republic pilot this still looks like a staple.

Ok, Guy's. I have relaxed a little on here. It was nice to take some time off, and I will continue to do so. The reason why is AT will be subsidiary of SWA. It is what eagle is to AMR (but no whipsaw because AT cant grow). This is really in the hands of the shareholders of AT. They choose the what will happen. SWA will have another company to run. They will run it till they see fit. Two certificates two carriers. This can go down in so many ways. This is not a true merger or a F9/RH deal.

Ok, Guy's. I have relaxed a little on here. It was nice to take some time off, and I will continue to do so. The reason why is AT will be subsidiary of SWA. It is what eagle is to AMR (but no whipsaw because AT cant grow). This is really in the hands of the shareholders of AT. They choose the what will happen. SWA will have another company to run. They will run it till they see fit. Two certificates two carriers. This can go down in so many ways. This is not a true merger or a F9/RH deal.

Better re-read your Merger Committee Chairman's letter that was made
available.

He said Bond-MeKaskill is in play if an agreement isn't reached.

Of course, I'm sure you know better than he does.

Better re-read your Merger Committee Chairman's letter that was made
available.

He said Bond-MeKaskill is in play if an agreement isn't reached.

Of course, I'm sure you know better than he does.

Well, of course it is. But never will apply if the Sub LLC is not fully merged into SWA. We come on here and talk what is fair and who is going to steal what seat. But what merger transaction is it the pre or sub? If I was a owner and had a sub biz, I could do what ever I want with. I am not saying that GK is going to shut down AT or sell assets. What I am saying is SWA has more control than you think. He could take 49% of the sub llc and merge it into mainline SWA. Then M/B will never apply.

It is called strategery. They eliminated overlapping routes so the DOJ process is seemless and they optimized the flight schedule. It is a novel idea that has created nearly 40 years of profitability. You probably wouldn't be bought with chump change if your airline had the same type of forethought.

You are in severe denial if you think the flight cutbacks had anything to do with AirTran's competitive pressure. This was a well played strategic move and nothing more.
Are you sure Gary Kelly's strategery wasn't to shift capacity from markets where there was stronger competitors (Airtran and Allegiant in Florida) to markets where there were weaker competitors (Frontier in Denver)?

Here are the capacity numbers for pre and post Great Recession/Fuel Spike of 2008/2009:

Airtran 2007: 22.7 Billion ASMs
Airtran 2010: 24.1 Billion ASMs (up about 6%)

Southwest 2007: 99.6 Billion ASMs
Southwest 2010: 98.4 Billion ASMs (down about 1%)

It looks like Airtran made it through the downturn pretty well and was able to find more opportunities for growth than Southwest (especially in the Caribbean). That is why Gary Kelly pulled the trigger on the deal. This merger makes both companies stronger than either of them would of been alone. I believe that was the exact words of Laura Wright at one of those Wall St airline conferences just last month.

Are you sure Gary Kelly's strategery wasn't to shift capacity from markets where there was stronger competitors (Airtran and Allegiant in Florida) to markets where there were weaker competitors (Frontier in Denver)?

Here are the capacity numbers for pre and post Great Recession/Fuel Spike of 2008/2009:

Airtran 2007: 22.7 Billion ASMs
Airtran 2010: 24.1 Billion ASMs (up about 6%)

Southwest 2007: 99.6 Billion ASMs
Southwest 2010: 98.4 Billion ASMs (down about 1%)

It looks like Airtran made it through the downturn pretty well and was able to find more opportunities for growth than Southwest (especially in the Caribbean). That is why Gary Kelly pulled the trigger on the deal. This merger makes both companies stronger than either of them would of been alone. I believe that was the exact words of Laura Wright at one of those Wall St airline conferences just last month.

I can agree with you max. Well self minded pilots all know that this is a good deal for all. But the growth you guys are lacking is going to come from SWA too. In a much larger way than you think.

Latest resources

Back