• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gary Kelly's ATN Comments at Message To The Field

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sure it is. SWA bought you. If you really think that you get to keep your seniority and all the other benefits you are dreaming. Fair and Equitable doesn't mean you get everything and they get nothing. I understand what you want but it really will not happen in the real world.

An arbitrator will decide the seniority list, not you. Take a look at the most recent decision yesterday for Frontier and Republic to get a glimpse into your own future.

OYS

That was a merger of equals. (equally crummy) This is an acquisition with the acquiring carrier being dominant in every aspect of the deal. Apples and Oranges.

The AirTran guys are not this stupid, cometman! They would never trade seniority for a temporary pay increase. Pay is ALWAYS temporary, seniority is forever!

Relative SLI will be great for the Tranny guys/gals, without a whole lot of upside to junior SWA guys who were told of 6 year upgrades...those guys will be pissed, but oh well...welcome to large carrier status in the airline biz!

In your dreams. I understand this is what you want. However, you will never get it. If you think a third party will take a small airline with 1700 pilots that is really considered a large regional and put them in the same position as they were (relative) you are dreaming. You are being bought because you cannot compete anymore and you do not have the money to buy SWA. Accept the fact. The best you can get will be a ratio of some sort. SWA has to get something since you are getting everything you want. Pay increase, great company, financially secure, bases, retirement, need I continue? SWA gets nothing except a seniority bump. Good luck anyway. You know you will be happy working for SWA rather than Airtran.

An arbitrator will decide the seniority list, not you. Take a look at the most recent decision yesterday for Frontier and Republic to get a glimpse into your own future.
An interesting outcome, why yes, how did that work out for the aquired pilots who had better QOL, pay, etc? Oh thats right, not very. So why would an arbitor decide to favor an aquired group with lower benefits?

Last edited:
I wake up every morning and thank God that Gary is buying Airtran. Without this deal SWA could have never figured out how to fly international.

Gup

Guppy,

Well, why didn't SW do it then w/out buying AT? :laugh:

Look, don't take it the wrong way, but if you (and me as well, and may be most people on this forum) were as smart as Kelly, BF, KG, etc. and other loved or hated executives, you would be making A LOT MORE MONEY, making intelligent decisions for thousands of people and controlling corporations. Instead you just fly automated airplanes, staring at infinity during hours of boredom in cruise, talking about boats or golf and reading a free copy of USA Today. And waisting your time in these pointless forums.:laugh:

Obviously SW management thought that buying AT was a smart decision. Not only because of ATL. Not only for international flying. Not only for getting rid of a cheaper and probably a successful competitor. I am betting there are MANY other reasons that you don't know, or may be you (and me included) wouldn't even be able to understand due to the fact that you are simply:
a. not intelligent enough
b. don't have experience as an aviation analyst
c. don't have and MBA or an appropriate education
d. never held any other job besides flying airplanes
etc.etc.etc.

So, when you (and others) say sth like "AT pilots should fall down to their knees in gratefulness", it sounds like a conversation between two kindergarten kids that argue that "my dad can beat your dad's a$$".

Last edited:
Guppy,

Well, why didn't SW do it then w/out buying AT? :laugh:

Look, don't take it the wrong way, but if you (and me as well, and may be most people on this forum) were as smart as Kelly, BF, KG, etc. and other loved or hated executives, you would be making good money, making intelligent decisions and controlling corporations. Instead you just fly automated airplanes, staring at infinity during hours of boredom in cruise, talking about boats or golf and reading a free copy of USA Today.

Obviously SW management thought that buying AT was a smart decision. Not only because of ATL. Not only for international flying. Not only for getting rid of a cheaper and probably a successful competitor. I am betting there are MANY other reasons that you don't know, or may be you (and me included) wouldn't even be able to understand due to the fact that you are simply:
a. not intelligent enough
b. don't have experience as an aviation analyst
c. don't MBA or appropriate education
d. never held any other job besides flying airplanes
etc.etc.etc.

So, when you (and others) say sth like "AT pilots should fall down to their knees in gratefulness", it sounds like a conversation between two kindergarten kids that argue that "my dad can beat your dad's a$$".

Nothing like watching one of your kindergarten classmates getting dressed down by the teacher............

Last edited:
An arbitrator will decide the seniority list, not you. OYS

You seem to be as smart as the other 2 from Airtran. You know who I mean, don't you? The only difference is nobody knows who you are at the present time but they know who the other 2 are.

You seem to be as smart as the other 2 from Airtran. You know who I mean, don't you? The only difference is nobody knows who you are at the present time but they know who the other 2 are.

So what? The arbitrator will know their names too, when he places them ahead of you. Keep repeating to yourself that you WON'T be affected by an arbitrator's award. Keep doing it, then maybe it will be true! This is interesting to watch because of your group's insistence that you will get everything that you want. What a trainwreck waiting to happen.

OYS

Corporal,

You guys really want to go down the road arguing about what Gary Kelly could have done?

Yea, he could have continued to grow Southwest, bought bigger planes earlier, and even gone to Atlanta along with international routes. He made a tactical decision to save a ton of cash and not do those things, for one reason, to buy another carrier.

Why Airtran? They really weren't that expensive for what he was getting. Airtan didn't really have that much cash on hand and was starting to bump into decreasing markets for growth. BF knew that when Gary called.

Gary runs the company, so he decided this path. It was inexpensive and easy. But it could get more and more expensive if he doesn't somehow manage the labor integration. And I guarantee he won't throw 30,000 Southwest employees under the bus and ruin Herb's company over it.

If this gets nasty, there probably won't be an SLI.

You don't have to be an MBA to figure any of this out, just pay attention and follow previous SEC filings. Maybe even listen to a conference call every now and then. Most of which people are too lazy to do.

So what? The arbitrator will know their names too, when he places them ahead of you. Keep repeating to yourself that you WON'T be affected by an arbitrator's award. Keep doing it, then maybe it will be true! This is interesting to watch because of your group's insistence that you will get everything that you want. What a trainwreck waiting to happen.

OYS

What makes you think I work for SWA? Nobody will be ahead of me. I love when you and the other 2 idiots answer me. You guys are so easy.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back