• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

Garmin 1000 pic. Beautiful

surveypilot

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 5, 2003
Posts
249
Total Time
5000+
That is on a new C182. I believe that from the factory there is no increase in price for the glass panel. THe reason being that it is actually cheaper to install the glass than all of the individual guages. I have no idea what it would cost to retrofit and older airplane with the G1000 cockpit. I am sure that it is astronomical.
 

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
Joined
Oct 20, 2004
Posts
1,854
Total Time
2100
we have a 182 and a 172 like this at our school. they're nice :)
 

mzaharis

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 27, 2004
Posts
541
Total Time
70
I've never heard of a retrofit with G1000 - I believe that it would be pretty challenging, if it is even possible, to retrofit it to a non-glass cockpit aircraft (some claim that it's so "tightly integrated" that it's pretty hard to retrofit - don't know if that's just a bunch of smoke or not).

I think that the nearest system that is commonly retrofitted to aircraft is the Chelton FlightLogic system - they have STCs for installation on everything from Cherokees to Citations. Costs about 75k for an installation, I believe.

http://www.cheltonflightsystems.com/Prod_cert_features.html
http://www.avionix.com/efis.html
 
Last edited:

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
Joined
Oct 20, 2004
Posts
1,854
Total Time
2100
ToiletDuck said:
what school is that at?
epic aviation in new smyrna beach, fl. supposedly have like 3 other all-glass 172's on the way. i don't think they're getting another 182 for a while.
 

NookyBooky

Beach Bum Extraordanaire
Joined
Nov 8, 2002
Posts
406
Total Time
ha!

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
Joined
Oct 20, 2004
Posts
1,854
Total Time
2100
NookyBooky said:
I would be embarrassed to own a GA plane with all that malarkey in the panel. Give me a map, compass, and some caffiene and I'll be just dandy.
i've flown these planes and i love them!!

and what the hell's a compass? what button do i push to get it? :p
 

NookyBooky

Beach Bum Extraordanaire
Joined
Nov 8, 2002
Posts
406
Total Time
ha!
cforst513 said:
i've flown these planes and i love them!!

and what the hell's a compass? what button do i push to get it? :p
I guess if you want to be a (regional) airline pilot, then it would makes perfect sense to gain as much experience with those overpriced playstation 3's as possible. But then again, I hate the idea of flying for the regionals as much as I hate the idea of flying a computer with wings.

Oh well, to thine own self be true...
 

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
Joined
Oct 20, 2004
Posts
1,854
Total Time
2100
ahh, nooky, i'm just kidding. nothing satisfies me more than getting from point A to B by using dead reckoning, pilotage, and VORs. i'm a purist, too, albeit a young rookie purist.
 

blimpguy

Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2005
Posts
7
Total Time
4300
Bad news folks. I talked to a Garmin rep at Oshkosh and they aren't seeking or supporting any retrofit applications on the G1000 at this time. He kind of snickered at the thought. It looks like they only have eyes on the new aircraft field. Probably don't want to be associated with any incidents or accidents on older aircraft as a liability issue or may just have enough business in the new airframe market. Just my speculation.
 

JimG

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Posts
205
Total Time
1600
Not me...

NookyBooky said:
I would be embarrassed to own a GA plane with all that malarkey in the panel. Give me a map, compass, and some caffiene and I'll be just dandy.
If all you ever fly is VFR...you don't "need" it.

I use a combination of a 430, Sandel 3308 and Avidyne EX500 as primary navigation equipment, but after seeing a G1000 demonstrated last month...I'd trade them all in for one, if I had the space, money and patience to wait for it to get done.

I'll take all the help/situational awareness I can get when I'm flying my family in a cloud.
 

2000flyer

EASY FLYER
Joined
Nov 26, 2001
Posts
1,586
Total Time
5700+
surveypilot said:
That is on a new C182. I believe that from the factory there is no increase in price for the glass panel. THe reason being that it is actually cheaper to install the glass than all of the individual guages. I have no idea what it would cost to retrofit and older airplane with the G1000 cockpit. I am sure that it is astronomical.
Not so fast surveypilot. It may be cheaper to install, but it certainly isn't cheaper to buy.

From Cessna's C182 Price List website, standard avionics package (Nav I) C182 is $258,500. A Nav III Glass cockpit is $312,000!

2000Flyer
 

ToiletDuck

Ninja
Joined
Apr 23, 2005
Posts
598
Total Time
>1
well boooo to them.
http://cddevelopment.com/tcm/Instrument/PA240010a.jpg I thought at first that is what he used here. It doesn't quite look like those others any.

While a compass and a map are some great things they are a little old school. Granted that's how I learned to fly and still usually do it that way. But these new avionics sure take some of the load off and make things safer.
 

ultrarunner

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 26, 2001
Posts
4,324
Total Time
10000
All that jazz built into the G1000, and they couldn't fit in ADF tuning????
 

NookyBooky

Beach Bum Extraordanaire
Joined
Nov 8, 2002
Posts
406
Total Time
ha!
ToiletDuck said:
well boooo to them.
http://cddevelopment.com/tcm/Instrument/PA240010a.jpg I thought at first that is what he used here. It doesn't quite look like those others any.

While a compass and a map are some great things they are a little old school. Granted that's how I learned to fly and still usually do it that way. But these new avionics sure take some of the load off and make things safer.
Considering the wierd chit I have to do to get my home computers started, I cringe at the thought of having to deal with a glass cockpit on the way to get a $100 hamburger.
 

mynameisjim

Don't try this at home
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Posts
842
Total Time
Paycut
Its the little box you use to tune AM radio stations, but that's not important right now.
 

JimG

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Posts
205
Total Time
1600
ADFs

semperfido said:
what is an ADF?:)

They're those old radios that you listen to Rush Limbaugh on to pass the time when flying VFR across country.
 
Top