• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Garmin 1000 pic. Beautiful

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bad news folks. I talked to a Garmin rep at Oshkosh and they aren't seeking or supporting any retrofit applications on the G1000 at this time. He kind of snickered at the thought. It looks like they only have eyes on the new aircraft field. Probably don't want to be associated with any incidents or accidents on older aircraft as a liability issue or may just have enough business in the new airframe market. Just my speculation.

Not me...

NookyBooky said:
I would be embarrassed to own a GA plane with all that malarkey in the panel. Give me a map, compass, and some caffiene and I'll be just dandy.

If all you ever fly is VFR...you don't "need" it.

I use a combination of a 430, Sandel 3308 and Avidyne EX500 as primary navigation equipment, but after seeing a G1000 demonstrated last month...I'd trade them all in for one, if I had the space, money and patience to wait for it to get done.

I'll take all the help/situational awareness I can get when I'm flying my family in a cloud.

surveypilot said:
That is on a new C182. I believe that from the factory there is no increase in price for the glass panel. THe reason being that it is actually cheaper to install the glass than all of the individual guages. I have no idea what it would cost to retrofit and older airplane with the G1000 cockpit. I am sure that it is astronomical.

Not so fast surveypilot. It may be cheaper to install, but it certainly isn't cheaper to buy.

From Cessna's C182 Price List website, standard avionics package (Nav I) C182 is $258,500. A Nav III Glass cockpit is $312,000!

2000Flyer

well boooo to them.
http://cddevelopment.com/tcm/Instrument/PA240010a.jpg I thought at first that is what he used here. It doesn't quite look like those others any.

While a compass and a map are some great things they are a little old school. Granted that's how I learned to fly and still usually do it that way. But these new avionics sure take some of the load off and make things safer.

ToiletDuck said:
well boooo to them.
http://cddevelopment.com/tcm/Instrument/PA240010a.jpg I thought at first that is what he used here. It doesn't quite look like those others any.

While a compass and a map are some great things they are a little old school. Granted that's how I learned to fly and still usually do it that way. But these new avionics sure take some of the load off and make things safer.

Considering the wierd chit I have to do to get my home computers started, I cringe at the thought of having to deal with a glass cockpit on the way to get a $100 hamburger.

Latest resources

Back