G200

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gunfyter said:
I hadn't really paid much attn but my understanding is that a great deal of the problems we Initially had with G200 had been ironed out by Gulfstream...

So it may be a better product now than when you looked at it.

I can't imagine Gulfstream would tolerate a poor product anymore than their buyers would.

I thought the 200 had poor reliability but the NJA pilot on here who flies them said they don't have that much trouble.

He probably came out of a Citation X.

I think you are probably right. We looked at several of the first when they where still green and in completion at Garrett Springfield. This is when you DON'T want to take too close a look at this airplane. A little too much bondo for my taste to make everything flush.

I do know for a fact that Gulfstream has done a LOT of work making it a better product. One of my best friends is an Aerodynamicist for Gulfstream and was tasked with getting the 200+ mile loss of range back that it lost during its inevitable weight gain.

It's some of the certification issues (like boots) that can't easily be worked out that will always haunt the aircraft.

We parked next to one in Hawaii a couple of years ago, spent about an hour talking with the crew, looking at each others rides. Just compare the wing side by side, its no wonder it staggers around at F370 and above when it gets warm.

I hate to knock the plane too much, it has its place. Alot of what you experience first and second hand builds up after 5 years. You don't hear a lot of good along with a lot of bad, and finally you decide there are better ways to go.

I stayed in the X. I just talk to people.

Some who I talked to are Gulfstream mechanics, who work on all our types of airplanes. One told me how much they loved the Falcon 2000 when I mentioned I might go to the G200 or the DA2000. Said it was her favorite airplane.

The pilots I talk to who fly the G200 have told me the BOOTS are not an issue to them. The boots are automatic and only come on momentarily... so not pulling power away from thrust constantly like my heated wings.

As far as passengers like NJOwner, whats not to like about the cabin? Also fractional owners can switch to different types when a G200 might not be what you want to take.

Hey gunfyter, did you fly the Cobra?

We have a local guy that came into some money, bought and restored 4 Hueys and a Cobra to like new. He just got his rating in the Huey and checked out in the Cobra.

I was in the pattern in the RV4 the other day going round and round with the Cobra. Pretty cool.

As many have said, the G200 is a great airplane. We all know about the problems it had, these have been corrected and are a non issue. Gulfstream is sold out to 1st quarter 2007, they have turned around the aircraft just as they promised they would. I think to compare it to the 2000EX is a stretch, compare that to a GIV to be accurate and then its no comparison. Not to take anything away from the Falcon its an amazing aircraft as well. Ultimately what I'm saying is if anyone is basing decisions on the G200 from information over 1 year old it would be in your best interest to take another look. On the flip-side, Yes the wing is small...you know it, I know it, Gulfstream knows it. IAI thought they would save a few bucks and extend the Astra wing a few feet and avoid a costly redesign, bad move in my opinion. To be positive though that wing is a dream in turbulence.

FoxJet said:
To be positive though that wing is a dream in turbulence.

Which is a plus considering that there is more of it in the 30's where the beast is stuck. It is definitely the UGLIEST jet on the market. And what is it with the gear doors hanging out at "acceptable" distances from the fuselage?

Latest resources

Back