• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

G1159 question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And even in our G550, when landing we try to bring the nose down quickly & smoothly, but as is flies so slow on approach (big wing), you loose that same elevator authority. We have a forward galley and many times I think the nose comes down too hard 9Teeth shattering),but no one in the back seems to notice. Gulfstream nose gear is not very comfortable and noisy on landing, but anyone aft of the galley has a totally different perception. I feel that the Bombardier Challengers did a much better job.
But I'll live with it flying this one for now.

And I agree with the previous poster, do not quit flying till you of the runway !

It doesnt matter If you have a forward or rear galley. I used to have the guy in the right seat assist which made it easier.

Most of my time is in the -II and the -IV. The -II would bleed energy really quick in the flare because it was so draggy. Vref +10 was the target, but I could comfortably carry more speed and bleed it earlier in the landing transition if I had to. In my experience with the -IV, it must be on speed (no more than Vref+10), shooting for Vref at 50' or else it floats as it won't bleed speed as quickly. The -III has a similar wing to the -IV, so speed control is important. Your technique of going to the hard stops just prior to touchdown sounds right to me. As the mains touch, about 1 sec later the nose will want to drop. Catch it (don't raise it!) with the elevator as you deploy the T/R's, and then let it settle onto the pavement. Don't try to keep the nose high in the air as it will fall hard when you lose elevator effectiveness. The other problem with keeping the nose really high, especially in a crosswind, is that when you pull reverse thrust the rudder will sometimes lose effectiveness due to the exhaust plume blocking airflow across the vertical. If you're nose high, corrected for crosswind and the rudder effectiveness goes bye-bye, the nose will suddenly be moving very rapidly towards the runway lights and you can't do anything about it until the nosewheels are down. Don't ask me how I know this :0 . So getting the nosewheels on the ground earlier rather than later - especially in a crosswind - is good technique.

I don't recall how long it took me to feel comfortable in the -II, but after flying it for quite some time and then moving to the -IV, I think it was 200 or 300 hours before I felt like I had it nailed. With 150 hours you should get it dialed in soon. Just don't quit on the landing until you're at taxi speed and clearing the runway.;)

pfp

I think this is all great advice. I do however disagree with one part. I am always a little leary of deploying T/R's when the nose is still airborne. This can lead to some other things happening. You addressed one of them: directional control. Be very careful ever doing this in a X-wind. Things can go bad in a hurry.

I pretty much do exactly what you said except I wait till the nose is down to use T/R's. The T/R's do take a while to get spooled up so I do understand why people do this. However, I don't think it's worth the trade-off in safety. Just my opinion and I know floks much more experienced than me will disagree. And much can be said for experience.

I pretty much do exactly what you said except I wait till the nose is down to use T/R's. The T/R's do take a while to get spooled up so I do understand why people do this. However, I don't think it's worth the trade-off in safety. Just my opinion and I know floks much more experienced than me will disagree. And much can be said for experience.

I agree, g_g. It is always best to wait until the nose is on the ground to deploy T/R's. My advice was really specific to the challenge of the forward CG issue posed by cyork25. I still believe deployment of T/R's - to IDLE THRUST ONLY - when the mains touch can help his predicament. Done properly I think it can also be done without compromising directional control, as the nose will be down very soon in that particular airplane anyway.

I agree, g_g. It is always best to wait until the nose is on the ground to deploy T/R's. My advice was really specific to the challenge of the forward CG issue posed by cyork25. I still believe deployment of T/R's - to IDLE THRUST ONLY - when the mains touch can help his predicament. Done properly I think it can also be done without compromising directional control, as the nose will be down very soon in that particular airplane anyway.

I understand. Our department is split in half on this issue. Half the guys deploy the t/r's with the nose wheel up. And half don't. I don't b/c if I ever do lose directional control, I want to be able to say that I did everything I could to keep it on the pavement. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I have a feeling if it goes in the grass the question as to if the nose wheel was down when t/r's were deployed will be asked. And I want to be able to say yes. The downside: I probably use a little more runway. But, I think I can land it just as smooth as others without t/r's and safety is not compromised. Also, landing distances are not predicated on T/R's.

Good discussion!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back