FW AD to RW ANG

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SIG600

Anyone know if it's possible to go from fixed wing active duty (point nose) to a Rotary wing ANG or Reserve unit?

absolutely. . and it works the other way too. I know a ton of guard dudes in FW jets that came from army/navy helos too. Some even in fighter units with RW background. . Guard/Reserves will hire any airframe background. . . IF they want you. .I would think a strike dude would be very marketable as you have experience talking/coordinating with the ground dudes, while in close proximity to the ground. .

-SIG-

There is a guy, screen name AK Hawg, over in APC that was a AD Hog guy that is going to fly HH-60s in the guard or reserve. He can probably fill you in on all the details. Goodluck!

Last edited:
Not for me, we were just having random ready room conversation the other day, and we were curious. No one knew the answer.

absolutely. . and it works the other way too. I know a ton of guard dudes in FW jets that came from army/navy helos too. Some even in fighter units with RW background. . Guard/Reserves will hire any airframe background. . . IF they want you. .I would think a strike dude would be very marketable as you have experience talking/coordinating with the ground dudes, while in close proximity to the ground. .

Not a pilot but two totally different worlds. Not that someone could not make the transition but I have seen a couple of FW guys try....some do well, others not so much. Our Group CC is a former Hog driver....decent pilot.

Fixed to rotor guys are an interesting bunch and I've instructed and served with a lot of them. The good news is that a good pilot is a good pilot -- air sense, judgment, crm, etc. The bad news is that they're worthless flying under 40 knots for about a year. (IMHO, YMMV)

After the transition to flying off-airport (and the whole hovering thing) they can bring their breadth of experience to the squadron team. Unfortunately about the time they get used to VMC into LZ ops they're as non-proficient and scared of flying into clouds as the rest of us.

Latest resources

Back