• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

FW AD to RW ANG

SIG600

Total Time
Anyone know if it's possible to go from fixed wing active duty (point nose) to a Rotary wing ANG or Reserve unit?

SIG600

Total Time
I guess my question was, are you marketable to a reserve or guard unit?

bagasticks

fist fornicator
Total Time
>1
absolutely. . and it works the other way too. I know a ton of guard dudes in FW jets that came from army/navy helos too. Some even in fighter units with RW background. . Guard/Reserves will hire any airframe background. . . IF they want you. .I would think a strike dude would be very marketable as you have experience talking/coordinating with the ground dudes, while in close proximity to the ground. .

CrewDawg

Total Time
LOW
-SIG-

There is a guy, screen name AK Hawg, over in APC that was a AD Hog guy that is going to fly HH-60s in the guard or reserve. He can probably fill you in on all the details. Goodluck!

Last edited:

SIG600

Total Time
Not for me, we were just having random ready room conversation the other day, and we were curious. No one knew the answer.

JungleJett

Total Time
absolutely. . and it works the other way too. I know a ton of guard dudes in FW jets that came from army/navy helos too. Some even in fighter units with RW background. . Guard/Reserves will hire any airframe background. . . IF they want you. .I would think a strike dude would be very marketable as you have experience talking/coordinating with the ground dudes, while in close proximity to the ground. .

Not a pilot but two totally different worlds. Not that someone could not make the transition but I have seen a couple of FW guys try....some do well, others not so much. Our Group CC is a former Hog driver....decent pilot.

Be 23

Total Time
Fixed to rotor guys are an interesting bunch and I've instructed and served with a lot of them. The good news is that a good pilot is a good pilot -- air sense, judgment, crm, etc. The bad news is that they're worthless flying under 40 knots for about a year. (IMHO, YMMV)

After the transition to flying off-airport (and the whole hovering thing) they can bring their breadth of experience to the squadron team. Unfortunately about the time they get used to VMC into LZ ops they're as non-proficient and scared of flying into clouds as the rest of us.

Huggyu2

Live to fly; fly to live
Total Time
9000+
I know 2 U-2 pilots with no rotor time that went to Guard/Reserve units to fly -60's.

Captain Happy

Total Time
+4500
My Guard unit in NY had a couple of ex navy fixed wing go helo. Its actually alot easier than getting a helo to fixed.