Future President and Corp. Aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tgaug6300

I think it is safe to say that most of us in our profession are Republican (to prove that just walk into any Pilot Lounge and Fox News will be on). My question is this. Which candidate do you think will help our industry, and which candidate will be more apt to hurt it?

We all know that McCain was a pilot, and Cindy is a pilot. The family operates corporate aircraft. So you would think they would be pro-aviation. Yet Mccain wanted to initiate User Fees for those of us that use the IFR system (even though we already pay our share with fuel taxes).

Any thoughts?

why do.........

republicans always assume everyone else is a repubican???????

I hate politics.

Niether one of them will be good for aviation.

McCain has sponsored alot of anti-aviation legislation including the National Parks Overflight Act, and the the Pilot Record Sharing Improvement Act which led to me being fired from a job.. Let me explain. Back when it first came out, employers interpreted the law that you couldn't let a guy fly for you until all his paperwork came back OK. That process took 30 days or more (previous employers had 30 days to respond). I worked for a dirtbag 135 outfit and wanted to leave. So I interviewed with another 135 outfit that had multiple bases. The interview went well, but they offered me a job at a base I didn't want to be based at (required a relocation). So I turned the job offer down. Unbeknownst to me, they sent the PRIA paperwork to my current employer so that they could get the 30 day ball rolling. I show up to work the following day and was fired by the chief pilot (who knew I had the interview - because I asked for, and got, a recommendation) because the paperwork came across the owner of the company's desk.

That's how seemingly innocuous laws screw real people. In retrospect losing that job was the best thing that ever happened to me, but it still cost me in excess of $25K. I quit AOPA back when they used to recommend voting for John McCain for Senate. It just so happened that I lived in Arizona at the time. He really is a sad choice for Republicans. Look at some of the other legislation that he has sponsored. McCain-Feingold, McCain-Lieberman. He was the one who killed the original Boeing Tanker deal. He is no friend to aviation.

Obama on the other hand might be even worse. If Al Gore gets installed as the secretary of the interior or head the EPA, we will probably all be charged with war crimes or crimes against the planet.

Me personally I'm voting for Sarah Palin because she is HOT:nuts: and I hope McCain strokes out or something and she becomes the first female President (that way Hillary would stroke out too)

Last edited:
I usually don't get too involved in the political debate. But since everyone (not in this thread) seems to just throw around accusations not backed up by facts, I figured I would do some research regarding the Democrats assertion that the reason we are in this situation today is because of the Republicans. Soooo, here it is. I have included links to back up the assertions.

What the Democrats who control Congress have really accomplished the past two years since taking control of the US Congress. Nothing!!

Before the democrats took control 2-years ago this is how the overall economy stood.

Consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 year high;
http://articles.latimes.com/2006/sep/27/business/fi-econ27

Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;
http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/19/markets/lundberg_gasprices/index.htm

The unemployment rate was 4.6%.
http://www.miseryindex.us/URbyyear.asp

Since voting in a Democratic Congress in 2006 we have seen:

Consumer confidence plummets.
http://www.conference-board.org/economics/ConsumerConfidence.cfm

The cost of regular gasoline soared to $4.11 a gallon;
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25665179/

Unemployment is up to 5.7 (actually 5.8% as of today) ;
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

American households have seen $2.3 trillion in equity value evaporate (stock and mutual fund losses); by the way the Democrats control the powerful Banking Committee and look what they have done to the Mortgage loan business.

In June 2008, the committee chairman, Christopher Dodd, was linked to troubled subprime mortgage lender Countrywide Financial. Published reports revealed Dodd had received mortgages on favorable terms owing to being a "FOA"--a Friend Of embattled Countrywide head Angelo Mozilo

Americans have seen their home equity drop by $1.2 trillion dollars;

1% of American homes are in foreclosure.

Oil from 55 a barrel to 142 a barrel (McCain wants America to drill for more of its own oil, as a bridge and the Republicans proposed in June 08 to the democrats to stop blocking this, the Democrat led congress led by Pelosi, Obama and Hillary responded by going on a week long vacation on 6/27)

America voted for change in 2006, and we got it!

I will say I am not happy about how much our deficit has rose during this administration and it needs to be reigned in.

As far as who is better for us, I think we all need to realize that no one from either side really gives a rat's a$$ about our plights.

The Republicans lost their way over the past eight years. I think you will see McCain move more towards the middle during these next 59 days. That was one of the main reasons for selecting Palin, to solidify and get the backing of the base. Without the base he had absolutely zero chance of winning.

So go ahead and spin away on this one.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Pretty much right on.

My only hope is that John McCain gets elected and then becomes incapacitated.

OTOH if Obama gets elected, I think that he will be unable to get anything meaningful done and the country will continue down the path that Nancy Pelosi and Harry Ried started two years ago (see 54Fighting's post above). Obama does not have the experience or the chips to call in to get any significant legislation passed IMHO. An Obama Presidency would in most likelihood preclude the threat of Hillary ever running again (although that girl has some chutzpa). Is anyone on the Supreme Court on a death watch (maybe Ginsberg?). That could be an issue, but at worst we would maintain staus quo.

4 years of impotence in the WH would take the wind out of many liberals' sails. Especially since they have built Obama up as their Messiah (SPOILER ALERT -think back to when you found out Santa Clause wasn't real). Maybe then they will see that Gov't cannot do anything for you, you must do it for yourself. TANSTAAFL

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back