Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WinstonPilot

Enid, America....S#$%hole
I was recently selected for the ANG to fly C-130s. When I return from training and come off active duty status it will be Sept. 2005 and I'm guessing by that time I'll have 2000TT and 400ME(including previous experience). I have been concentrating so hard on getting a guard slot that I have neglected to stay current with what is taking place at FedEx and UPS. I'm interested in finding out what the chances are of getting a job with either one as soon as I return. If so where is a good source information on getting the hiring process started when I return( books, message boards, websites,etc.)?

Thanks

At this point, the smart thing for you to do is worry about making it through your AF flight training and not about who will be hiring in three or four years. I'm not trying to slam you, just giving you some perspective. Good luck.

I agree with you 100%, but right now all I can do is wait until I get my class date and ponder about what is in store for me when I return.

I recommend you do a search on this forum, once for "FedEx" and and another for "UPS". You'll probably find about 95% of the information you are looking for right here.

winstonpilot

Winston pilot where what unit did you get your slot with? How did you chose this unit and what would it take to be competitive for a guard unit? I am 22 right now getting some flight training and thinking about trying to get a guard slot. What are the chances?? Any info would be great. Congrats on the ANG spot.

I'm interested in finding out what the chances are of getting a job with either one as soon as I return

What will the job market be in 3 years and who will be hiring? Who knows?!?

I guess you'll have as much chance as anyone else with your qualifications. 2000tt/400 ME is actually on the low side for UPS. Prior to 9/11, when hiring was good, competitive mins were 4-5000tt with a couple thousand turbine PIC.

I'm not sure they'd even look at you with 2000/400...but, who knows what hiring will be like in a few years.

I realize the whole thing could go to hell in a handbasket( hopefully not), I thought UPS and FedEX were very quick to hire military pilots considering the training they go through is some of the best in the world. With that being the case, shouldn't they be a little lax on the TT requirements?

WinstonPilot,
Ten years ago when there were not enough cockpits to go around and pilot training was actually tough to get through...they offered us a "graduate & separate" option...meaning that you could graduate from UPT and get out with no active duty service committment. I don't know of anyone who took it because when jobs are scarce you're just not very competitive with those numbers right out of UPT! If you look around on this board and elsewhere, most "military" guys have upwards of 3000 hours with many of those being PIC ME turbine or jet. Pilot training doesn't even count as PIC and Little Rock won't count either as you won't be signing for the plane! As a matter of fact as a Herc guy you won't be signing for the plane for 2-3 years! So I'd think about how to get your ME PIC time up if I were you...

Of course none of us know what will happen 3 years down the line...so maybe you will be competitive by then! Anyway good luck - if you make it through Tweets, maybe I'll see you at UPT!

I thought UPS and FedEX were very quick to hire military pilots considering the training they go through is some of the best in the world.

I think FedEx is more military oriented than UPS. UPS hires from all types of aviation backgrounds and we have a very diverse group of pilots.

Unlike years past, when an employer wanted "jet" pilots, they had to go to the military or corporate depts. Now, you'll be competing against Regional pilots who will literally have thousands of quality hours in two man EFIS equipped jets. And, they accumulate time very quickly while flying in high density and congested airports. This looks very attractive to the majors.

From my personal experience....these guys/gals are very sharp aviators!!

Wings

I had no idea the training Little Rock during UPT couldn't be logged as PIC. That changes things drastically, now that I went back and looked at some of the previous posts I see what your talking about. I thought that since I have my civilian certificates and ratings(MEL), I could log some of the training I received as PIC;I guess it doesn't work that way.

The only way I can think of raising my PIC ME time is to work at a 135 op flying DC-3s or light twins. Are you an IP at UPT, if so which base? I think they send most of the guys from our unit to Columbus.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back