Furloughs at FLOP's????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
B19,
If you work for a non-union carrier as you say, how is it that you were "there getting the unfiltered information from the negotiators" yourself? I'm just askin' ???

In one of my prior positions while working at a unionized carrier was when I was in the middle of it, and that is where I learned how much unions lie to their brethren. That was the position that turned me against unions completely because I saw what the company was doing and the reality of how unions negotiated. The unions would do one thing inside the meeting and walk out with a spin that was 180 degrees from reality. The famous 15 minute caucus that would go for 6 hours to firm up 15 words of a sentence was my favorite. The union would go out for a "short caucus" and come back hours later.. then not even have their proposed language written. Then, nothing would be accomplished and the union would come out and say the company was stonewalling. They lie like cheap rugs, and the union membership eats it up. I've never seen the company do this.

I don't bash unions.

What is so hard for you to say where you work. Or even what industry you work in. You can't answer anything except union bashing.

So answer the question!

The specific company is not relevant.

I've addressed this ad-nauseum, but I'll do it again. I'm in a management position (with no direct reports due to what I specialize in) at a Part 121 international carrier, but have worked from 135 on-demand, 135 scheduled, 91k fractional (before and after the rules went into place) commuter (back when a commuter was really a commuter), regional and legacy.

Interest in Fracs? I worked on a lot of the rulemaking on 91K and I like the business model. I feel that union infiltration is premature within the model. As a result, there will be negative long term effects on it which in turn will cost pilots jobs. Young pilots that have not previously been burned by unions don't understand the overall negative effects that unions have on an industry. These new guys drink the union kool-aid and are more wound around the short term paycheck than the long term financial health and stability of the company.

I don't bash unions. I give the exact same opinions that 95% of company leadership feels when running a carrier with a union in it that they won't admit to or say out loud because it's not politically correct. I was muzzled before when I was working in a union environment, but I'm not now and can openly express my opinions, something company leadership with unions on the property can't.

There are basics that never change when running a company in a union environment that union members don't understand because they have never seen the dark side of unions.

They lie like cheap rugs, and the union membership eats it up. I've never seen the company do this.

I have. My previous experience at a non-union carrier gave me enough "turmoil" to last a lifetime. Embezzlement, furloughs, domicile closures -- you name it, they did it.

My personal favorite was when they lied, "like cheap rugs," right to our faces. On a Wednesday afternoon, the company president said, "Don't believe the doom-and-gloom rumors that are floating around; we're right on track." Thirty-six hours later, half of the pilot group gets furloughed, with a letter citing problems with cash flow. As I'm reading the letter at company HQ, I'm watching our fuel truck filling up one of the principal's new CJ1 for a trip to Vegas. Cash-flow problems, indeed. :mad:

Before I went to work for a non-union carrier, the ONLY disruptions in my career were directly due to unions.
The only disruptions in my career have been due to unethical management.

"I see the light Bob 19"!

I see it! It's crystal clear now!

You are right!

I want in!

What you say about your company sounds great!

I wanna be part of it!

Where do I apply?

I know I'm qualified, I have 9000 hours a degree, a double "Top Gun"!

You are right!

I want in!

I wanna be part of it!

Where do I apply?

3000 of those 121 international PIC? No? That seriously ends that conversation.

Little planes like 737s don't count, and man... you are watching way too many movies. :laugh:

I have. My previous experience at a non-union carrier gave me enough "turmoil" to last a lifetime. Embezzlement, furloughs, domicile closures -- you name it, they did it.

My personal favorite was when they lied, "like cheap rugs," right to our faces. On a Wednesday afternoon, the company president said, "Don't believe the doom-and-gloom rumors that are floating around; we're right on track." Thirty-six hours later, half of the pilot group gets furloughed, with a letter citing problems with cash flow. As I'm reading the letter at company HQ, I'm watching our fuel truck filling up one of the principal's new CJ1 for a trip to Vegas. Cash-flow problems, indeed. :mad:

The only disruptions in my career have been due to unethical management.

We have had different experiences. Unions have hurt my cause, and you feel that you needed a union to protect yours. The only cheats that I saw were at the union level and the information they gave out to their membership to create emotion.

The difference is, the union you chose to protect your career saw fit to interrupt mine. As far as that principal filling up his new CJ1? He was smarter than both of us, otherwise both of us would be filling up our new airplanes. I have no reason to be jealous that he is more successful financially than I am because he is the one that creates the opportunity for me to make a living doing what I want to do.

I have no right to demand money from him simply because he makes more than me which is what a union does. My current choice of employers is the smartest I've ever made. If you need to have a union to protect your interests because you don't have it in you to fight for yourself, that is your privilege. I preferred to control my own career destiny so I removed the union scourge from my future.

Insanity is labeled as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. After being burned twice by unions it was clear I needed to find a carrier that didn't have one and I was successful.

We have had different experiences.
Exactly my point. Thank you.

The difference is, the union you chose to protect your career saw fit to interrupt mine. As far as that principal filling up his new CJ1? He was smarter than both of us, otherwise both of us would be filling up our new airplanes.
Not exactly.

He paid for that CJ by embezzling funds, raping the ESOP, and defrauding the shareholders. It's currently working its way through the courts.

I have no right to demand money from him simply because he makes more than me which is what a union does.

No, it really isn't. I'll never make as much as my CEO (at least, not as a pilot), and that isn't my goal. A union is the mechanism provided by our legal system to give employees the leverage they need to keep their employer from abusing them. It keeps the employer from changing the working conditions on a whim. The biggest thing I get out of an employment contract is stability in my life and in my job.

The absence of all that "flexibility" you tout is what prevents turmoil for those employees. I saw what happens when unethical management is given free reign, and wasn't pretty. All the employees suffered, and had no mechanism to address it.

My current choice of employers is the smartest I've ever made.

I'm glad you found an ethical employer.

If you need to have a union to protect your interests because you don't have it in you to fight for yourself...
:laugh: Riiiight.

I have plenty of fight in me, but I understand that a group can accomplish much more than an individual.

Insanity is labeled as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
I agree! And after being burned twice by non-union employers with unethical management, it was clear I needed to find a carrier with a union, and I was successful. ;)

You are right!

I want in!

I wanna be part of it!

Where do I apply?

Sorry bro, you don't have the "gold seal".. Give it up :p Couldn't resist ;)

He paid for that CJ by embezzling funds, raping the ESOP, and defrauding the shareholders. It's currently working its way through the courts.

There you go, bringing up the old dirt. Ruining my day. :angryfire

There you go, bringing up the old dirt. Ruining my day. :angryfire

Not as old for me as it is for you. ;)

You mean you could figure out which slimeball I was talking about just from that little bit of detail? :laugh:

Don't let it ruin your day -- the nightmare is over!

Latest resources

Back