Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Publisher...

Publisher:

Not sure where you are getting your facts, but I am furlouged by one of big 4 with FedEx Interview next week. I know there are several USAir pilots being hired by FedEx.

MP

right

I did not say that it was impossible.

If you will recall, there have numerous reported situations where it was stated such as with Netjets that they would require resignation of seniority.

It was well reported that Fedex was not looking for furloughed pilots from the big 4. Does that mean that no one got in--no.

You asked, and legitimately so, where do I get my information.

Today at lunch, their were 3 airline ceo's at our table. One regional, one freight airline company, one charter airline. With the same regualrity that I get your imput here, I get management's issues too by talking to them.

Some of this has eased. One of my friends, a Delta furloughee, said he expects to be out two more years with his number.

I take no glee in this--if you think I am wrong about the subject, so be it. What I am saying that is if you have a choice between two people--- both meeting the qualifications, the odds are often better for the person without the big 6 sen # than with even if the person holding has more experience.

This is my point

It's still complete speculation and story telling to make your initial statement. Besides, your "power lunch" with a regional, charter and freight CEO (I doubt you were hanging with UPS and Fedex ironmen) doesn't necessarily describe the types of companies big 6 airline pilots are really trying to get involved with when looking for career options during a furlough. Really, these pilots are often looking for a reason to STAY at their new career place than live in the past. Sure, some will go back, but many do not and it's supported by history.

Many places that wouldn't want to hire a major airline qualified and trained pilot would rather hire a 1000 hour young kid, because they are running companies where "career expectations" are in the form of the next best job that will hopefully happen for the employees in a few years. They like to be thought of as a "stepping stone" in some ways (especially during pay talks) because it justifies the lower pay and PFT so common at that level.

Latest resources

Back