Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Furlouged pilot - Looking at going elsewhere (Compass/Mesaba)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BoDEAN

Cabo Wabo Express
Hopefully this thread doesn't turn into a flame war (you never know anymore on this board).

Recently got furloughed from RAH. I am about 5 from the top of the list, but there is no word as to when recalls will happen. I've heard people mention spring, but who knows. My question is this. Instead of finding a low paying computer job, I am considering going to either Compass, Mesaba, and thought about GoJETS but there is too much negativity around about them. Why would GoJETS be in the equation? I live in STL, and they have a base here.

I have about 3000 hours, 1800 SIC in the EMJ145. I got hired onto Mesaba a few years ago, but after my interview, was told because NWA filed Ch11, that there were no class dates. They told me they would let me know. After a few months, went to AE, then ended up at RAH. My question is, based on numbers, and having a few friends at Mesaba, they seem a bit more "stable" if you want to use that word, than a smaller company like Compass.

Any opinions on which company would be most beneficial at this stage of the game? I feel a transistion into the E170 at Compass would be fairly easy coming from the E145.

Opinions welcomed, because take flames elsewhere.

LOL, you forgot to mention the crappy regional he left so as to go the crappy regional that furloughed him.

I reccomend going to whichever crappy regional hires you. That narrows down your options pretty quickly.

Hopefully this thread doesn't turn into a flame war (you never know anymore on this board).

Recently got furloughed from RAH. I am about 5 from the top of the list, but there is no word as to when recalls will happen. I've heard people mention spring, but who knows. My question is this. Instead of finding a low paying computer job, I am considering going to either Compass, Mesaba, and thought about GoJETS but there is too much negativity around about them. Why would GoJETS be in the equation? I live in STL, and they have a base here.

I have about 3000 hours, 1800 SIC in the EMJ145. I got hired onto Mesaba a few years ago, but after my interview, was told because NWA filed Ch11, that there were no class dates. They told me they would let me know. After a few months, went to AE, then ended up at RAH. My question is, based on numbers, and having a few friends at Mesaba, they seem a bit more "stable" if you want to use that word, than a smaller company like Compass.

Any opinions on which company would be most beneficial at this stage of the game? I feel a transistion into the E170 at Compass would be fairly easy coming from the E145.

Lateral moves suck. There is no column in your logbook for "crappy computer job." People say GoJets sucks. Who cares what a bunch of people say on the internet, right?

Well hopefully when you are done at GoJets and are moving on, no folks sympathetic to the TransStates pilots are on the hiring board.

If you're a woman, than none of this applies, and the real question is how ugly are you if you aren't at a major yet?

Maybe you should consider an Instructor position at Mesaba. Or we are hiring A LOT right now.

I am getting a PC right now and they are saying 200 more pilots by the end of the year.

I am not a regional airline pilot but I do pay close attention to the industry and my brother is an FO @ CHQ out of St. Louis like you. Even though GoJets to me is just another regional airline like anyone else and majors don't see it any differently (they'll hire you), if you do go work for them it comes with the territory of being shunned by a bunch of people like CoolSidePillow...you might be denied jump seats, and a lot of rediculous other stuff, so I don't suggest working for them unless it is your last option. With that being said I think both Mesaba and Compass are reasonable options. I would apply at both and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Avoid commuting whenever possible. If GoJet is hiring in STL and you live there it's a no-brainer..apply and cross your fingers that they hire you. It is as good a place as any other to build time and probably better than a bunch of other possible choices. Unless you are worried about a little internet grief from ALPA zealots you will be money ahead to try and get on there. Good luck!

Mischaracterized. It's more than internet grief. I've watched a GoJet guy squirm and then get shotdown at a LCC interview. Watched them get denied a jumpseat. Heard them get blocked on the radio. None of this took place on the internet. But hey, if you're into that, go for it.

It's like starting this career without a 4yr degree. Yeah, you might succeed anyway, but why kneecap yourself at the outset.

Instead of finding a low paying computer job, I am considering going to either Compass, Mesaba, and thought about GoJETS but...

Your computer skills must suck if you would make less than a first year FO at a regional!!!

If you're a woman, than none of this applies, and the real question is how ugly are you if you aren't at a major yet?

How about black....don't forget about us black folks!

:laugh:

Latest resources

Back