Funny stuff on the radio...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Quiet Flight said:
There are million dollar homes in Alabama??

Alabama, yes... Mississippi, no.

A friend of mine who flies for FedEx told me a funny one several years ago. He said a FedEx 727 and a Delta 727 were holding short on opposite sides of one of the runways at ATL. They had a short radio exchange on tower freq that went something like this.

FedEx: Delta XXX this is FedEx XXX, what is your company freq?
Delta: We can't give that out, we're professionals.
FedEx: Roger. Tower, tell the Delta professionals that their gear pins are still in.

Remember Delta guys, it wasn't me, I am just repeating the story. Please don't injure me.

coloneldan, the first time I heard that one I laughed so hard I darn near kicked the slats out of my crib.....heres one that I heard a long, long time ago, before automatic altitude reporting, maybe 1970 or so. It was up in the northeast somewhere, New York center I think. The center guy told some guy " Acme 121, say altitude"..Mr. Smart A$$ comes back with "altitude"...center guy shot right back with "say Acme that`s pretty good, now say 'cancel my flight plan' ".

Last edited:
Stupid question: What are gear pins? I don't even know and that was a guy buster.

Way2Broke said:
Stupid question: What are gear pins? I don't even know and that was a guy buster.
They keep the gear from retracting. So, off goes Delta, only to have to make an expensive return to the airport when their gear mysteriously won't come up.

coloneldan said:
A friend of mine who flies for FedEx told me a funny one several years ago. He said a FedEx 727 and a Delta 727 were holding short on opposite sides of one of the runways at ATL. They had a short radio exchange on tower freq that went something like this.

FedEx: Delta XXX this is FedEx XXX, what is your company freq?
Delta: We can't give that out, we're professionals.
FedEx: Roger. Tower, tell the Delta professionals that their gear pins are still in.

Remember Delta guys, it wasn't me, I am just repeating the story. Please don't injure me.

I heard that a few years ago as well. Except when I heard it, it was a Delta crew and an AA crew.

Then I heard the story again but it was a Delta crew and a Southwest crew.

Then I heard the story again but it was a Delta crew and a Northwest crew.

Then I heard the story again but it was a Delta crew and a USAir crew.

At least the offending crew was always Delta!!

I guess it must be an interchangeable gag. Like college football teams and the location of the invention of the tooth brush.

chperplt said:
Do I want to know what a "guy" buster is?

Gut buster

See my current position for more details.

That is what I figured a gear pin was, kindove similar to the locks they put on the jetstream when they are working on them. I guess they put them on every time they park the heavy beasts?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back