Funny stuff on the radio...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SSDD

We were enroute this morning, in a fairly laid back center sector, the controller chimes in with a somewhat concerned voice...

Center: "Aircraft12345 say your altitude."

Totally oblivious pilot: "18,500"

Center: "Uh...you're not suppossed to be VFR above FL180."

Totally oblivious pilot: "O.K."

That was it.

Haha?

Pilots reporting the intersection "Gabar" down here in the Caribbean. Say it a few times and you'll get the drift. Kinda funny when they say they're "leaving the Gabar".

DGdaPilot said:
Pilots reporting the intersection "Gabar" down here in the Caribbean. Say it a few times and you'll get the drift. Kinda funny when they say they're "leaving the Gabar".

I like that song from Electric Six.

SSDD said:
We were enroute this morning, in a fairly laid back center sector, the controller chimes in with a somewhat concerned voice...

Center: "Aircraft12345 say your altitude."

Totally oblivious pilot: "18,500"

Center: "Uh...you're not suppossed to be VFR above FL180."

Totally oblivious pilot: "O.K."

That was it.

There is an old joke that goes around this area from time to time.

It starts with a foreign student checking in with Center:

Stud - "Oakland Center, King Air XXXXX checking in VFR 19,5000"
ZOA - "Uh, King Air XXXXX, you are not supposed to be VFR at that altitude"
Stud - "It's ok. This is a Super King Air!"

Ill Mitch said:
There is an old joke that goes around this area from time to time.

It starts with a foreign student checking in with Center:

Stud - "Oakland Center, King Air XXXXX checking in VFR 19,5000"
ZOA - "Uh, King Air XXXXX, you are not supposed to be VFR at that altitude"
Stud - "It's ok. This is a Super King Air!"

I had a student from Singapore that had a die hard work ethic, but english was not his first language (not his second or third either) so communications were always tough, especially going into BWI. I would let him flop around on the radios some days and I could tell that Approach and tower were getting frustrated. Finally we would get our landing clearance and it never failed that my student would be flustered and respond "Creared to Rand!! We would always have a good laugh about it, but he did it up until I left the flight school.

A couple of years ago I had to work the saturday of the Alabama-Arkansas football game. There was tons of traffic heading into Fayetteville. We're on with Memphis Center and the dialog went something like this:

controller: All Bama fans Ident.
controller: Cool! that sure lit up the screen. I've never seen that before.
pilot: Memphis Center, Warrior 12345 checking in, level five thousand, war eagle
controller: Warrior 12345 reset squawk zero six-six-six (in a very slow, ominous tone)
pilot: Warrior 12345, squawk 0666, should I have left out the "war eagle" bit?
controller: no, I like being able to differentiate friend and foe. Roll Tide.

good story from back in the day in the skies around Daytona. One of the Alpha Tango's on the field, and you all that flew out of DAB know who I'm talking about well......Instructor and student had a habit of doing all the meanuevers and touch and goes in the sky's of DELAND, Fl....10 miles E of DAB. Anyways, the call to daytona approach was always, "Daytona approach N123AT over Deland inbound with Victor." Well, this student went on a solo and headed up to Flagler County about 25 miles N or DAB. In bound for Daytona he calls approach, "approach 123AT over DA Land with Kilo" "N123AT, fly heading 070, squawk 3422" Roger, 070 3422. A few minutes pass and this controller has him ident.....cause he couldn't find him on the scope....guess what, finally found the plane on an adjacent sector flying eastbound 2 miles off the coast.....N123AT, radar contact 10 miles east of Flaglar county at 2500, I thought you said you were over DELAND." "I. was over DA Land, now im over Da water. The student, never corolated the instructors instructions to report over Deland, the town of Deland...The student thought they were telling the tracon they were over land inbound. Funny funny stuff

Happend at ICT:

Controller: United 380 I need you to turn right 290 degrees. Traffic on final in front of you is a piper cub you are overtaking.

United: Sir, can you have him go around. Do you know how much it cost to make this aircraft go around and delay?

Controller: No, sir how much?

United: about $50,000

Controller: Wow! That's a lot, let's see what a $50,000 go around looks like. Turn right to 300 degrees NOW!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back