Funny radio traffic

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NW Flyer

So, we're preparing for departure, and the ATIS says "All IFR departures contact clearance delivery prior to engine start". Pretty straight forward, eh?

We got our clearance early, and they told us to call ground when ready to start engines. No problem.

Pax showed, and we go to call ground for engine start, but have to wait while the ground controller patiently reads an IFR clearance (3 times) to a Baron who is already taxiing. I made mention that I was impressed by the controller's professionalism at this point.

Then, after start and during our taxi, a NetJets airplane calls ground "Ready to taxi with Information "Seirra", and ready to copy IFR to kXXX." He was already rolling down the ramp approaching the taxiway.

The controller chewed him a new one! OOOPS!

I guess he expected a little more from a pro crew than he did the private guy in the Baron.

The controller chewed him a new one! OOOPS!

I guess he expected a little more from a pro crew than he did the private guy in the Baron.

It was prolly one of those deals where after the fifth guy botched it the controller just snapped and wondered why these pilots can't follow simple instructions. Not that i would have ever commited such an inexcusable error.:pimp:

I've never forgotten to call prior to engine start before!!!

Yeah right!!!

Sounds like the Net Jets crew just forgot to call at the wrong time!

TEB I assume.

Thats standard procedure at Scottsdale.......I think it is for turbine aircraft though. I believe its part of their program to abate unnecessary noise due to delays.

A NetJets crew, unless they'd never been there (hard to imagine), should have known better.

There are those that have and those that will.

I had a boss once and their were two givens:
1. The second engine (not the first) had better be spinning by the time his foot hit the door way.
2. Once the second engine was started the aircraft had better be moving, he didn't care where, just as long as it was moving.

From what I understand he is now a Netjets customer.

Wow, what a peach! His time must have been worth a lot!

Truthfully, I wasn't so much disparaging the netjets crew, as laughing at the disparity in the reactions between the two coming from the same ground controller.

One of those "you had to be there"s, but I found it funny.

Let's hear some more! What made you chuckle in the cockpit recently?

Latest resources

Back