• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Funniest hand signals you have ever seen.

OOramperpilot

Total Time
Ever been in the cockpit and watched the ramper make an incomprehensible hand signal? Been a ramper and watched a crew member do the same? What's the funniest hand signal you've ever seen and what was the signal intended to communicate?

My favorite, was a Capt. forming a cup with his left hand and a fist with his right and putting the fist in and out of his cupped hand. Now his intent was for us to disconnect the ground power (discovered this after talking to said Capt. on the head set when we didn't know what he wanted), but to a lot of us ramp rats, this is the signal to pull your head out of your anal orifice.

Discuss.

WayBack

Total Time
I've flashed gang signs before. that always gets a good response.

CFIT

Gimme your money
Total Time
1:51pm
Many years ago when we first got the first RJs, Delta pilots would give a gesture that we were number "one".

I always ment to them they were using the wrong finger.

I'm sure they ment well.......

Quack

Reg Dunlop
Total Time
get a life...not too many of us are worried about how cupped or uncupped our hands are when we're asking you to unplug ground power. Don't run me into another airplane or baggage cart on pushback and we'll get along just fine. other than that, who cares????

AbOvo

Total Time
I think the guy is just trying to post something humorous on this website and share stories.

If he was commenting on your inability to start a GPU or your high and mighty attitude I'd understand your frustration.

Perhaps you are suffering from the rectal cranial inversion he referred to in the original post?

silver02ex

Total Time
5500+
In MSP. After the push back and I tell them to disconnect. Normally I get the torque link engage, but sometimes they give me the "shaka sign" as they drive off.

OOramperpilot

Total Time
get a life...not too many of us are worried about how cupped or uncupped our hands are when we're asking you to unplug ground power. Don't run me into another airplane or baggage cart on pushback and we'll get along just fine. other than that, who cares????

Quack,

I see from your avatar that you must be a stew so you don't worry your pretty little head about what us boys up front and outside are doing. You just sit there in your jumpseat and smile nice at the business man in 1A and make sure you bring the boys up front coffee when they ring the high low and put out for them on the overnights.

Now hush your mouth and enjoy my smoove like butta push back.

CRJ puppy

Total Time
8000+
Ever been in the cockpit and watched the ramper make an incomprehensible hand signal? Been a ramper and watched a crew member do the same? What's the funniest hand signal you've ever seen and what was the signal intended to communicate?

My favorite, was a Capt. forming a cup with his left hand and a fist with his right and putting the fist in and out of his cupped hand. Now his intent was for us to disconnect the ground power (discovered this after talking to said Capt. on the head set when we didn't know what he wanted), but to a lot of us ramp rats, this is the signal to pull your head out of your anal orifice.

Discuss.

vectorvictor

Total Time
Lifer
Communicating to LGA rampers: Brakes released, cleared to push, spot 5, nose east, the baggage door is showing open and, can we start 2?

Sometimes I felt like I was putting on the double steal, or perhaps the hit & run.

DannyNoonan

Right on the beach!!
Total Time
1.5k+
Sometimes its easier to write on one of the release sheets what you want...assuming they speak english.....i wonder if there is a sign for telling them the aft cargo is still indicating open...

Carl_Spackler

Total Time
After the push the rampers always give me the "black power" gesture. I don't understand since most of them are white.

OOramperpilot

Total Time
i wonder if there is a sign for telling them the aft cargo is still indicating open...

Ok, here's what's in our manual. Act like you are holding the end of the minute hand on a clock. Now move that hand back and forth between 3 o'clock and 6 o'clock. This will send us scurrying to the back to cycle the cargo door. Hope that works for you.

Simon Says

New Airbus Regional Jet
Total Time
Quack,

I see from your avatar that you must be a stew so you don't worry your pretty little head about what us boys up front and outside are doing. You just sit there in your jumpseat and smile nice at the business man in 1A and make sure you bring the boys up front coffee when they ring the high low and put out for them on the overnights.

Now hush your mouth and enjoy my smoove like butta push back.

OHHHH, SNAP.

This is gonna get good now!!!!!!

COOPERVANE

Member since 1967
Total Time
<8000
While pushing in EWR.

"Are we clear to start?"

"You shoulda eready done started capm, you late!"

filejw

Total Time
Better yet there is a city that when I park the signal guy disappears under the nose cause he is too short...LOL

av8rjo

Total Time
Taxiing to the ramp in BPT - the ramper has their back to us and is waiving both batons from their left shoulder to their right hip like "pull around in front of me."

I look over at my F.O. and say "What is that, intentional grounding?"