Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
We've stalled the airplane, but recovered very quickly. I can't explain it, but part of me wants to experience a fully developed stall, with a prolonged recovery. In short, I want to experience what it's like to drop like a rock. Maybe my instructor wont do this, but I was thinking about trying it if and when I get my certificate.

First, is this safe??? The only thing I can think if is not to exceed VNE, and not to induce a secondary stall by pulling out too fast. Anyone ever stall it, and just let it dive for a thousand feet or so????????

You can do spin training. I would highly recommend it! You will do all kinds of stalls and basically screw up on purpose, then wrestle it back to controlled flight.

Once the airplane stalls, just keep the yoke in your gut. Use the rudder to maintain wings level. No big deal, if the airplane starts to spin, step on the high wing.

I used to stall Warriors all the time. If you don't release the back pressure on the yoke the plane will simply stall and recover over and over again. I always had a hard time making it do anything the least bit scary. Even cross controlled stalls were a non-event.

The challenge in most trainers I've flown was to keep it stalled. They've all wanted to recover on their own.

I think you're missing the point on the nature of stalls. Fully developed? The wing stalls at the critical angle of attack, usually about 15 to 17 degrees to the relative wind. Fully developed means you're not going to release the back pressure on the yoke when it stalls. This is called a falling leaf stall. With reasonably careful rudder control, it's a non-event. The forward cg drops the nose every few seconds and you regain some airflow over the wings, the nose comes up a little and stalls completely again and then the nose drops again. In some airplanes, depending on the cg at the time this pitch oscillation can be just a few degrees. In some cases maybe 10 or 20 degrees. Because your coming down relatively flat your descent rate can be as little as 500' / min. and your airspeed is very low. You have to hold the yoke hard aft to do this. Believe me it's not difficult. You control wing drop with the rudder - just step on the high wing. But don't do this without altitude, spin training, or with an instructor that's experienced with it. I don't think they should give anyone a CFI that can't demonstrate these. By the way, take a newer 172 S or SP model and you will come down so flat it's amazing with just a few degrees of pitch oscillation and less than a 500' / min descent. Totally cool. But remember, find an instructor whose experienced doing them.

Do the falling leaf and when one wing drops step on the other to keep them wings level and youll be fine. if you want to have alot of fun hold the yoke all the way back and just stomp on one of the rudders and hold it. Then tell the CFI its his plane :)

UnAnswerd said:
We've stalled the airplane, but recovered very quickly. I can't explain it, but part of me wants to experience a fully developed stall, with a prolonged recovery. In short, I want to experience what it's like to drop like a rock. Maybe my instructor wont do this, but I was thinking about trying it if and when I get my certificate.

First, is this safe??? The only thing I can think if is not to exceed VNE, and not to induce a secondary stall by pulling out too fast. Anyone ever stall it, and just let it dive for a thousand feet or so????????

I hope your instructor isn't scared to do a fully developed stall or whatever you guys call it these days. Just pull back on the stick/yoke and hold it there. It won't bite you.

Interesting points of veiw here. Maybe it would be more fun to go from straight and level and mash the yoke forward!!!

Latest resources

Back