• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fully developed stall, is it safe???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
May be time to look for a new CFI.Full stalls and a spin demo should be don some time early in your taining.I know I'm an old guy but the A/c don't fly and diff.Get some good basic training...Have fun.

I agree about the CFI comment.. if he doesn't want, at the very minimum, to demonstrate a falling leaf to you, in a Cherokee, I'd dump him.

The falling leaf, in my opinion, should be mandatory in terms of spin awareness training. The whole idea is to learn to control the aircraft during a full stall - keeping the wings level. It may save your life some day if you make a mistake on base --> final and wind up in a stall... too many people have tied that way because of improper recovery and subsequent spin.

Kream926 said:
a 52 as we all probably know will recover from a stall and a spin on its own. go up to like 8000 in one and try it

It may recover from an INCIPIENT spin on its own, but not always a fully developed spin. During spin training for my CFI, we did a fully developed spin to see if the plane would recover on its own, from a high altitude, let go of the controls, and it just continued to spin. We had to do the normal recovery procedure to get it out.

Flyin Tony said:
Do the falling leaf and when one wing drops step on the other to keep them wings level and youll be fine. if you want to have alot of fun hold the yoke all the way back and just stomp on one of the rudders and hold it. Then tell the CFI its his plane :)

no no no...the real fun is not adding in right rudder in a power-on stall and correcting with aileron at the last second.....

yeah...after one of those, it's time to hit the bottle...

-mini

Immelman said:
I agree about the CFI comment.. if he doesn't want, at the very minimum, to demonstrate a falling leaf to you, in a Cherokee, I'd dump him.

That's a tad bit harsh. First, I think my instructor is doing a fine job teaching me. Second, I never asked him to demonstrate anything, so I know nothing of what he is or isn't willing to do. Also, I was under the impression that spin training was not required for private training.....

Last edited:
...sorry I was under the wrong impression.

Never the less spin awareness training is required, right? You can talk about that all day long, but demonstrating the wing dropping and keeping it level dancing on the rudder is a great way to teach that. IMHO.

Mr UnAnswred,
Nobody is trying to be harsh,just see to it you get the best advise for your training.If my 21 and 20 yr old were learning to fly I would be sure an experienced instructor did full stalls and at least two turns in a spin with them.If your CFI hasn't got the background find someone who has and ride with them for 1 or 2 hrs.It will be worth the money.

GravityHater said:
Mine is parked in a huge line of stalled aircraft on the ramp as we speak!
I do a stall every flight!

Hey, if you really want to do it right, don't gradually bring the nose up, waiting for the buffet, control slop etc. Get to 1.2VSo then haul it back with vigor. Any thing else is pretty whimpy.

Did I tell you about the overwhelmed student in the Citation (I was observing in the back) who had the stick shaker going at 400' on an ILS? He was a bit overwhelmed on that approach! (I was too)

what happened to RumpleTumbler?
Gawd, you just reminded me....we were doing a 135 ride in a Navajo once. I was doing a stall under the hood with the chief pilot in the right seat and the next 135 checkride victim was killing time in the back.

When it came time to put power in, the right engine abruptly stumbled and rolled off towards being dead. There's that split second that seems like eternity where your brain is going..."Why the heck did that dumb sum fill in the blank pull an engine on me now?" He screams, "I didn't do that!" and as the plane starts to lurch to the right, I have the throttles coming back about the time he puts his mits on mine. The engine came back to life during the power reduction, but I think it kind of woke everybody up and we headed back to the field to turn the plane into maint.

On another note...if you ever get the chance to fly a narrow body 182 with a Horton STOL kit on it...you'll find it flys quite pleasantly in a stalled condition. You have total directional control with the yoke full aft...simple rudder corrections to keep you on course and a descent rate of about 500 FPM.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back