• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CaptJax

Fuel saved, noise reduced with some LAX arrivals

Saturday, February 28, 2009

(02-28) 01:21 PST Los Angeles, CA (AP) --

Nearly half of the planes landing at Los Angeles International Airport save fuel and reduce noise and air pollution because of an arrival technique that allows the aircraft to glide rather than make a string of descents.

The procedure, known as continuous descent approaches, is employed by 300 to 400 of the estimated 800 aircraft that land daily at the airport, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

The method allows airplanes to use minimum power instead of having pilots rely on their engines to repeatedly speed up and then slow down to level off.

"It's like taking your foot off the gas at the top of a hill and just gliding straight into the airport from 18,000 feet on a smooth, controlled path to touchdown," said Walter White, an FAA manager who headed a team that developed the procedure.

Officials said the technique also increases the safety of landings, one of the most critical phases of a flight.

They estimate the procedure at LAX saves airlines at least 1 million gallons of fuel annually and reduces carbon dioxide emissions, which have been linked to global warming, by about 18 million pounds a year.

"For everyone in the L.A. basin, this is a help, a total win-win. You've got the fuel savings, the noise reductions and the attendant reduction in contamination," said Denny Schneider, an airport activist and member of the Alliance for a Regional Solution to Airport Congestion.

Federal aviation officials implemented continuous descents at LAX in December 2007 on one of the eastern approaches. The agency has converted the other two eastern routes to the procedure, making LAX the only airport in the nation to have such a broad application of the technique.

Thats BC they dont understand the term at OR above. I had a guy almost come out of his skin until, he mentioned its 14,000, I said its at or above. It amazes me they feel the need to level off prior to each fix.

I used for fly for years as an FO with guys who did that on the DYLIN/PHLBO arrival into EWR. Drove me nuts. I keep an eye out for it now as a CA.

For the Seavu arrival, if you have some unexpected tailwind, and ATC slows you to <250, the plane will usually have a tough time making all the fixes, and you'll probably have to put in full boards, slats/flaps pretty early on. I guess they've anticipated that when they design the arrival.

For the Seavu arrival, if you have some unexpected tailwind, and ATC slows you to <250, the plane will usually have a tough time making all the fixes, and you'll probably have to put in full boards, slats/flaps pretty early on. I guess they've anticipated that when they design the arrival.

AT OR ABOVE. Dangle the Dunlops Daddy'O.

Dive and Drive pilots don't trust themselves and have low SA. Period.

Gup

Latest resources

Back