• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Frontier is selling four aircraft after record lose

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, I guess Spirit has some airplanes to buy now.

I doubt it. Frontier operates the CFM-56 powered aircraft and Spirit operates the IAE2500s.

I think they (F9) would like to phase out of the A-318 fleet if possible, but in any case the best resale market is international not domestic.

BTW, the growth will still be 5 or 6% going forward using the larger A-320s which will be delivered in the first calendar quarter and the addition of the Q-400s to the system. Not sure about EMB-170 growth??

New CEO is on a mission. We'll see how good he is.

Selling Airbuses while adding E170s and Q400s to the mix... YIKES!!!!

Why did Frontier pilots vote to outsource their flying to Linx? And, even worst case, why didn't they require that Lynx be part of their union with flow up and down provisions. Even NWA learned from their mistakes and required that Compass be ALPA from day one with flow up and down.

Last edited:
Why did Frontier pilots vote to outsource their flying to Linx? And, even worst case, why didn't they require that Linx be part of their union with flow up and down provisions. Even NWA learned from their mistakes and required that Compass be ALPA from day one with flow up and down.

Not so simple. And a long story, but if you are interested I'm sure someone will indulge you. In a nutshell Frontier formed a Holding Company, then started a new company called Lynx. Frontier Airlines Inc had nothing to do with it. The only way we could have voted to take Q-400s into the mainline fleet (Frontier Inc.) and have a single seniority list would have been to invent a time machine and go back in time...Unfortunately:(

So Frontier didn't have any scope protection in their previous contract to prevent Frontier from starting up a seperate regional airline?

I didn't think Lynx got their aircraft until after Frontier Pilots signed the new contract?

Not that big of a deal guys. Jetblue has been selling airplanes for a couple of years now to slow down the growth rate. Even Southwest announced selling/lease returns of 22 aircraft in 2008 so their fleet will only increase a net of 7 aircraft in 2008.

Reducing the growth rate should allow Frontier some time to adapt to the new realities of the marketplace. They mentioned in their press release that the core of the airline (Denver market) seemed to be performing well.

I still give credit to Frontier to make the Dash flying 'in house'. It will give flexability to explore codeshares with the Q down the line, as the turboprop market for flights under 300 miles will likely increase. Some will say the timimg was a bit poor, but the idea seems to be worthwhile. As many places are choking themselves on 50 seat RJ's, Frontier has, at least, put themselves in a decent position. It's up to management to make good use of it.

Latest resources

Back