Frontier almost pulls a "Sully"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Metrojet,

Both jackscrews snapped at once - or most probably one immediately followed by the other due to overload. Had full slats but 0 trailing edge flaps on one side and 40 trailing edge flaps on the other side in an instant. Truly amazing that they flew out of it. Like the other dudes said Boeing couldn't fly the sim out of the senario after 30 attempts.

Gup

It is my understanding is that the Boeing sim could not replicate the event accurately. The flap fail side in the simulator was deflected up (like a spoiler) rather than trail in the slipstream. Nonetheless, an excellent job of airmanship.

I still see pilots (PF and PM) fly round with their feet flat on the floor.

Great job by the Frontier guys! I can only imagine what must have been going through your minds.

Sully: Captain Sullenberger and First Officer Skiles have done a fantastic job providing a vivid and realistic view of what our profession has become for most of us. No union or politician has had the clout in recent years to do so. CEOs and Executives have had all the influence up to this point. Surely we can all agree on that!

If you don't agree, then you must be employed by one of the few more lucrative employers and you've simply been lucky. Yes I said it, lucky.

Sorry. Climb detent. Left there the FADEC commands idle if there is compressor stall etc. If you don't move them to MCT or TOGA you won't gain any available thrust...

Where does it say that in the FCOM or QRH? The QRH says to reduce power if you have an engine stall. I don't see how the FADEC would give you more power when you've already asked for more than it can give.

Read the book Fly by Wire by William Langewieche that just came out...I do not view Sully in the same way anymore....He is out for $$$ and fame....that is it in my view. Read the book...Ch 1

While I agree that the Sully hero worship thing has gone way over the top Langewieche appears to be a bitter wanna-be. Yet another airbus "expert" with no time in type.

Read the book Fly by Wire by William Langewieche that just came out...I do not view Sully in the same way anymore....He is out for $$$ and fame....that is it in my view. Read the book...Ch 1

While that's a well written book and an interesting read, I think his main points and conclusions are pure trash.

Update. Wonder if they'll get violated for 2 kts over. Just kidding! The question is, did Sully try to advance the power levels too?

The NTSB reported on Nov 24th, that the airplane climbed through 4260 feet at a speed of 252 KIAS, when the airplane hit 6 or 7 geese. The right hand engine spooled down to flight idle. When the crew tried to advance the throttle levers, the right hand engine experienced a number of serious compressor stalls, passengers describing fireballs being released by the engine. The crew declared emergency and returned to Kansas. Visual inspection revealed damage to both engine inlets, boroscopic inspection showed however that only the right hand engine had sustained internal damage.

Last edited:
You miss the point highspeed. Did I suggest that or is it something you read into my point because I praised the Frontier crew for getting their bird on the ground. If #1 was at flight idle what would you have done? There is reason to believe that the thrust levers never left the idle detent. If they went to toga they might have found the could've limped it to EWR. But then you seem to be so enamored with the "Sully" and can't seem to grasp that he and his crew were damn lucky. Period. Tell me how do you think the "Sully" would have done in darkness? Or IMC? What if he had a crosswind at touchdown? What if the river was crowded as it usually is? Yeah I'd say he was lucky. All too often guys with all kinds of backgrounds do amazing things in airplanes possibly saving hundreds of lives and are never recognized. Problem is it isn't as sensational... Maybe the Frontier Capt can write a book! What do ya think? Would you buy it...?

if "Ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts... We'd all have a merry Christmas

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back