Frontier almost pulls a "Sully"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gup:

Is this a splt flap failure? I had that once on the 737, where one of the inboard flap actuactor broke and the other inboard flap fully extended. My memory is fading but if I remember correctly - that on the 737 the flap indicator and protection from split flaps is only provided by the outboard flaps - you can have a major problem with the inboards and it wouldn't indicate that in the cockpit - other that the extreme roll you would experience .

If that is what your talking about in night imc with flap 40 - I am impressed.

Metrojet

Metrojet,

Both jackscrews snapped at once - or most probably one immediately followed by the other due to overload. Had full slats but 0 trailing edge flaps on one side and 40 trailing edge flaps on the other side in an instant. Truly amazing that they flew out of it. Like the other dudes said Boeing couldn't fly the sim out of the senario after 30 attempts.

Gup

Metrojet,

Both jackscrews snapped at once - or most probably one immediately followed by the other due to overload. Had full slats but 0 trailing edge flaps on one side and 40 trailing edge flaps on the other side in an instant. Truly amazing that they flew out of it. Like the other dudes said Boeing couldn't fly the sim out of the senario after 30 attempts.

Gup

Just curious, did they use a ton of asymmetric power? Sounds like an unbelievable piece of airmanship.

Xan, why are you so jealous of Sully? Are you one of those lottry winners from AWA that can't stand to see how experienced the east pilots are compared to you?

:laugh: That's funny....well, it's sad and funny. Actually, more sad then funny.

Maybe it's not so much Sully as an individual as much as it's a lack of understanding by the public and the coat tail grabbing opportunists that, as Sully suggests, many pilots are highly trained and talented. Frontier just proved my point. And Sully's for that matter. Honestly how many lives have been saved by pilots around the world and it failed to show up in books, magazines, TV shows etc? That's the rub...
That's a great point. All we hear about is pilots on laptops, drunk, landing on taxiways, etc. Nobody hears about the good things.

I realize Sully's testimony on behalf of USAPA probaby pisses off a lot of pilots and that's fine but it's a different subject. Don't disparage him based on something that has nothing to do with his fame and media appearances. He's almost singlehandedly gotten the word out to the public about the awful state of the profession.

If you want another example, here's a 4 minute clip of his interview with Katie Couric
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4791476n&tag=related;photovideo

No mention of a book or anything self serving. Nobody's perfect, what else do you want him to do?

Anyone else here tired of this whole sully thing on here already?!

Your both wrong...THERE!!!!!! Now shut up!

Give the F9 guys their deserved due here. Great job guys!

You miss the point highspeed. Did I suggest that or is it something you read into my point because I praised the Frontier crew for getting their bird on the ground. If #1 was at flight idle what would you have done? There is reason to believe that the thrust levers never left the idle detent. If they went to toga they might have found the could've limped it to EWR. But then you seem to be so enamored with the "Sully" and can't seem to grasp that he and his crew were damn lucky. Period. Tell me how do you think the "Sully" would have done in darkness? Or IMC? What if he had a crosswind at touchdown? What if the river was crowded as it usually is? Yeah I'd say he was lucky. All too often guys with all kinds of backgrounds do amazing things in airplanes possibly saving hundreds of lives and are never recognized. Problem is it isn't as sensational... Maybe the Frontier Capt can write a book! What do ya think? Would you buy it...?

When did they get to the "idle detent"?

Xan, why are you so jealous of Sully? Are you one of those lottry winners from AWA that can't stand to see how experienced the east pilots are compared to you?

How can Westies cash a lottery ticket Easties are holding? us air was days away from liquidation before being acquired. Hundreds of East pilots recalled while furloughs handed to West pilots is hardly a windfall. Then having to deal with a union formed by pilots to take advantage of their sudden good fortune to further disadvantage West pilolts.

My life was far better prior to the acquisition in 2005.

Latest resources

Back