• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

From the ALPA Age 60 Website...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK, I don't know the intricacies of this issue like y'all do. Let me ask you this: what would it take to get overwhelming support from those folks that don't support it? What give-and-take issue would you want? What can the airlines, or the gov't, give to make it a fair deal for the pilot community?

That's the problem; those that lose in this deal are not as passionate about defending the status quo as those that want to change the rule.
The fairest way that I see this happening is with a graduated phase-in. Like a 3 month increase in retirement every year starting in 2010 (it'll take a couple of years to get through the NPRM process).

Just went to ALPA's crewroom and couldn't find anything about an online poll. If it's there it's hidden pretty well. It must only be available to over 50, non-furloughed, non-apprentice members.

It won't be live until mid next week. You will hear plenty of communication about it when it goes live.

-Neal

OK, I don't know the intricacies of this issue like y'all do. Let me ask you this: what would it take to get overwhelming support from those folks that don't support it? What give-and-take issue would you want? What can the airlines, or the gov't, give to make it a fair deal for the pilot community?

The ability to retire. Our professional lives are too provisional and we end up rolled back to zero too often. We don't need to work longer if this is still going to be the case.

Pilots who don't support this understand that this is not a solution. It's a bandage. In five years there is going to be an outcry for age 70 retirement if things don't improve.

From a union standpoint: Good decisions and proper leadership is what members hope to see. Forget the exact issue for a moment--Look at what's going on: ALPA leadership has gone mustang on the wishes of the majority! The majority who don't want this changed thought they could count on ALPA support. Is that going to happen again on another issue?

All that being said, the answer to your question is simply: Change the age without taking money and QOL from those who want to retire at 60.

Grandfather everyone holding an ATP at implementation. Those that are crying discrimination will have won their battle against age discrimination and those on seniority lists won't be screwed by having to babysit an over 60 pilot.

They probably should raise the age to age 65 to match ICAO immediately. I suspect a compromise was reached to delay implementation for about two and a half years. Politics is all about compromise. The real dinosaurs aren't the over sixty guys, they're the younger guys that can't deal with change.

The real dinosaurs aren't the over sixty guys, they're the younger guys that can't deal with change.

The ones whose ox will be gored with a change. I suppose that they should just lay back and enjoy it, since there's nothing that the young guys can do about it, eh? Is Clayton Williams one of your idols?

They probably should raise the age to age 65 to match ICAO immediately. I suspect a compromise was reached to delay implementation for about two and a half years.

The delay is because Congress must pass a law preventing all the recently retired disenfranchised pilots from filing lawsuit after lawsuit, suing the crap out of every company and union who allowed the last five years of retires to be screwed overnight, plus all the pissed off young guys who were cheated.

The only change the FAA could do without Congress would be one that would take a generation to implement, 30 years.

I think you owe all women an apology for comparing a law that extends your career for five years to rape. Maybe you should find a good desk job somewhere, for your own best interest and the flying publics.

Last edited:
boo hoo. Let's all apologize because that makes everything alright anyway...

I'm deeply sorry if that last post offended anybody....

Latest resources

Back