From RJ pilot point of view, what is most desirable base to fly out of?

Skymeg

Total Time
Enough
Not speaking of any specific airline or flight schedule, what is a favorite base to live at regarding cost of living, area activities, quality of life, etc. Anyone have an opinion?

Rogue5

Adult Swim junkie
Total Time
~5k
Not ORD.

SBA would be very, VERY nice if I'd inherited a house from my parents or something...

viper548

Total Time
Rogue5 said:
Not ORD.

SBA would be very, VERY nice if I'd inherited a house from my parents or something...
I've had SBA overnights the last couple months. It would be nice to be based there, if the housing were taken care of.

generaltso

Marcy Projects
Total Time
500hrs
Any base where you can walk from employee parking to the terminal

GuppyPuppy

Living the Dream
Total Time
28 yrs
Portland, Oregon.

Live in Vancouver, WA (no state income tax). Buy stuff in Oregon (no sales tax).

Good weather, lots of outdoor activities and friendly people.

Cheers!

GP

ASAFOE120

Total Time
Well lets see, if you took away the afternoon thunderstorms, the lazy rampers, the louzy customer service, the airport being built smack in the middle of the hood, and the occasional cloud that floats by that facilitates a ground stop program, then maybe ATL wouldnt be too bad.

They closed our good base earlier this year. Want to guess where it was??

Just my $.02

KO King

Total Time
Rogue5 said:
Not ORD.

SBA sucks...SMALL town and very, very expensive. The only upside is the amount of hot women.

KO King

Total Time
Rook said:
Hey KO king your boy Vargas is fighting tomorrow. You gonna watch?
YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
Traded my trip just so I could have it off!
Cant wait, im not too optimistic about this "comeback", but he is my favorite boxer and I will back him until he retires. Hopefully it wont be tomorrow!

Rook

And shepherds we shall be
Total Time
?
He'll be ok. As long as his back holds up. He's looking to improve his defense and now that he's working with this guy Smith, it should be vastly improved. He's gunning for the Golden Boy again. Grill's gonna be goin' and the beer's gonna be flowin'. Should be a good fight.

Hovernut

Home Based Again!
Total Time
MCO

Get to ride the Harley to work all year long, no state income tax, all the attractions at resident rates, and da beaches!

rtmcfi

Total Time
>req
definetly IAD

It's easy to get through security, and you get a close up view of ramp operations via the mobile-lounge. The rampers are all hard-working, and excellent communicators to boot. ATC handles the traffic with amazing skill. Lot's of affordable housing ner the airport, which is located in a fantastic area. If you happen to be a commuter on United, the gate agents will treat you with a great deal of respect, and are very kind. I could go on and on. IAD is truly paradise for the rj pilot......

Last edited:

NuGuy

Ex-Commuter
Total Time
Hovernut said:
MCO

Get to ride the Harley to work all year long, no state income tax, all the attractions at resident rates, and da beaches!
Beaches? You $hitting me? Orlando is in the middle of a frakking swamp 2 hours (maybe 4 with the horrific I-4 traffic) from any non-manmade beach.

Speaking as a native Floridian, Orlando could dissapear into a great big sinkhole, and the state's average IQ would jump 100 points.

Here's an idea, let's move to a huge town in the middle of a swamp in the hottest, buggiest, most humid envrioment this side of the Amazon. But hey, at least to can make ends meet wearing a mouse costume on your days off from the RJ.

Nu

S

SouthTex

Plano?

Well lets see, if you took away the afternoon thunderstorms, the lazy rampers, the louzy customer service, the airport being built smack in the middle of the hood, and the occasional cloud that floats by that facilitates a ground stop program, then maybe ATL wouldnt be too bad.

They closed our good base earlier this year. Want to guess where it was??

Just my $.02

Skymeg

Total Time
Enough
That is the answer I was hoping for. I'm originally from Seattle and can't imagine a better place to live than the Northwest. Just wonderd if there was anything comparable for outdoor activities in the U.S. somewhere. Guess probably not. The good old Pacific Northwest wins again!