From cargo to a Major airline

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

k2774

Can someone discuss the ease or difficulty of transitioning from a cargo carrier to a major(FEDEX, UPS)? Is this even possible?

T-Gates said:
No, once you fly cargo you are blacklisted from flying for a major carrier. It is a national blacklist that you can never escape. Fly cargo, kiss your career goodbye. You will fly cargo forever...

And today's award for "Most Sarcastic Post" goes to....... T-Gates!!! Everyone give him a hand! ;) :)

Honest sarcasm

k2774 said:
Can someone discuss the ease or difficulty of transitioning from a cargo carrier to a major(FEDEX, UPS)? Is this even possible?

Got a buddy at FedEx?

Yank McCobb said:
Then you came to the wrong message board.

Ain't that the truth.

Make the move

We have had pilots leave USA Jet and go to FedEx, DAL, SWA, CAL, AA, UAL, Jet Blue, Air Tran, and Spirit

Last edited:
I proved the blacklist theory is untrue. I flew four years of DC-8 cargo, then got an interview and offer from Fedex. All it takes is build your time to 3-4,000 hours including about 2,000 PIC heavy turbine, build a good reputation as a competent professional, and have a friend or two at Fedex or wherever you want to go who believes in you enough to walk your resume into HR. You can get a job at any company hiring if you have the above attributes.

To get a good reputation be optimistic, don't habitually b1tch, be low maintenance for training section, scheduling and the chief pilot, and wait for the inevitable opportunities. Thousands of major airline and cargo pilots are retiring and jobs will be there for you.

k2774 said:

Possible? Yes. Likely? No. This has been discussed in length here on previous posts. I am in the opinion that 121 is more of what ups/fedex and majors are looking for. I used to work for airnet and I knew one guy that went from captain in the lear to southwest. That was the only one out of many others that were trying very hard.

Latest resources

Back