• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

From cargo to a Major airline

k2774

Active member
Joined
Dec 27, 2001
Posts
25
Total Time
51hrs
Can someone discuss the ease or difficulty of transitioning from a cargo carrier to a major(FEDEX, UPS)? Is this even possible?
 

PCL_128

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Posts
15,296
Total Time
5000+
T-Gates said:
No, once you fly cargo you are blacklisted from flying for a major carrier. It is a national blacklist that you can never escape. Fly cargo, kiss your career goodbye. You will fly cargo forever...

And today's award for "Most Sarcastic Post" goes to....... T-Gates!!! Everyone give him a hand! ;) :)
 

mar

Remember this one?
Joined
Nov 27, 2001
Posts
1,929
Total Time
9500
Honest sarcasm

k2774 said:
Can someone discuss the ease or difficulty of transitioning from a cargo carrier to a major(FEDEX, UPS)? Is this even possible?

Got a buddy at FedEx?
 

PCL_128

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Posts
15,296
Total Time
5000+
Yank McCobb said:
Then you came to the wrong message board.

Ain't that the truth.
 

pilotyip

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 26, 2001
Posts
13,629
Total Time
14000
Make the move

We have had pilots leave USA Jet and go to FedEx, DAL, SWA, CAL, AA, UAL, Jet Blue, Air Tran, and Spirit
 
Last edited:

jwadtw

Member
Joined
May 1, 2005
Posts
22
Total Time
9000+
I proved the blacklist theory is untrue. I flew four years of DC-8 cargo, then got an interview and offer from Fedex. All it takes is build your time to 3-4,000 hours including about 2,000 PIC heavy turbine, build a good reputation as a competent professional, and have a friend or two at Fedex or wherever you want to go who believes in you enough to walk your resume into HR. You can get a job at any company hiring if you have the above attributes.

To get a good reputation be optimistic, don't habitually b1tch, be low maintenance for training section, scheduling and the chief pilot, and wait for the inevitable opportunities. Thousands of major airline and cargo pilots are retiring and jobs will be there for you.
 

exchexflyer

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 25, 2003
Posts
69
Total Time
5500
k2774 said:
Can someone discuss the ease or difficulty of transitioning from a cargo carrier to a major(FEDEX, UPS)? Is this even possible?

Possible? Yes. Likely? No. This has been discussed in length here on previous posts. I am in the opinion that 121 is more of what ups/fedex and majors are looking for. I used to work for airnet and I knew one guy that went from captain in the lear to southwest. That was the only one out of many others that were trying very hard.
 

$$$4nothin

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2004
Posts
815
Total Time
9000+
One more peice of info. That one guy at AirNet that went to SouthWest was not a guy, however she was very good looking. You do the math.
 

Clyde

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 18, 2004
Posts
660
Total Time
4000+
exchexflyer said:
Possible? Yes. Likely? No. This has been discussed in length here on previous posts. I am in the opinion that 121 is more of what ups/fedex and majors are looking for. I used to work for airnet and I knew one guy that went from captain in the lear to southwest. That was the only one out of many others that were trying very hard.

I went straight from 135 on-demand freight to Brown. Of course this was pre-9/11, but I don't think things have changed much. I had zero 121 experience.

Clean record, 1000PIC turbine (minimum), and some contacts. The latter is probably what is going to get one an interview, assuming all other qualifications are met.
 

bombinha

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 2, 2002
Posts
136
Total Time
10k+
After 9/11 all that matters is a LOR. If you have one doesn't matter what you flew as far as you don't have any violation and never fail on the can test even the 1k hour pic turbine can be in anything including caravans if you have that letter but if you don't have the LOR forget it you cannot even dream.
 

27 driver

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 12, 2005
Posts
828
Total Time
4000 +
k2774 said:
Can someone discuss the ease or difficulty of transitioning from a cargo carrier to a major(FEDEX, UPS)? Is this even possible?
Yes you can, but I don't know how. I have a friend that went from a small freight operator to FEDEX, and is doing well.
 

Tram

RaarR! SLM will getcha!!
Joined
Dec 27, 2003
Posts
1,076
Total Time
1653Z
PIC turbine time..
 

WillowRunVortex

Former Sleepless Knight
Joined
Dec 30, 2004
Posts
352
Total Time
D
Clyde said:
I went straight from 135 on-demand freight to Brown. Of course this was pre-9/11, but I don't think things have changed much. I had zero 121 experience.

Clean record, 1000PIC turbine (minimum), and some contacts. The latter is probably what is going to get one an interview, assuming all other qualifications are met.

You only have 4000+ and you were hired at UPS pre 911... WTF? over?
 
Top