• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

From Bottle to Throttle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

When do you personally stop drinking before flying?

• 24 hours or more

Votes: 29 16.5%
  • 12 hours

Votes: 78 44.3%
  • 10 hours

Votes: 19 10.8%
  • 8 hours

Votes: 36 20.5%
  • 6 hours

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • The keg is in the jump seat.

Votes: 10 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
These AW pilots were probobly thinking they would chance it because they would both have to call in sick.

Obviously they have other issues other than bad judgment but, that might be one of the reasons they did what they did.

Judgement, what a concept.

I read where they could face up to 8 years in the big house to.

i was talking to a dispatcher in puerto rico who used to work for mexicana in houston; he had some stories to tell about boeing pilots drinking and flying

drunk

Dude, I am drunk all the time (including now) and I go flying a lot. Luckly I fly olver rural areas in Class D, no big threats. Flying drunk is easier than driving drunk. Besides I go to the bars and get wasted, pick up chicks and take them flying, I almost always get sex

What's all of this 8 or 12 hour stuff... I always thought it was 8 inches bottle to throttle. Just make sure you never have your beer in your throttle hand and hey, life is good!!!!.

Sorry, had to say it.

:p :p :p :D :D :D

I always try and use 12 hours and even at that, always take it easy the night before a flight. The only time i can remember not abiding by this was not too long ago in vegas where there are NO clocks and everything looks the same all the time.

Was on my second drink at the tables where our 8 pax, including the boss, were playing and the boss looks at me and says "do you know what time it is?" It was 10 hours to go...and i said "wow, didn't realize it was so late, this is my second and last drink. but, you do know legally it's 8 hours?" he acknowledged that and said "i've always seen you switch to water 12 hours out and thought you might not know what time it was." he was right and trying to help me out. i guess i had become too focused on all the money i had blown!

Rehabilitation?

Not to change the subject, but if I remember right, an article that I had read concerning the NW pilot 10 years ago stated that NW would rehire him after he went through rehabilitation and got out of jail. I know of a couple guys that were busted for drugs at a regional I fly for and they were sent to rehabilitation (at company expense). One is still flying, the other walked out of rehabilitation and has been fired. I havent heard one thing about this and was wondering if it is even a possibility in this case? Anyone got a clue about this?:eek:

Double standard

Here, again, I find these rehab cases to be totally unbelievable.

You just about have to be a saint to be hired. No driving problems, no drug problems, perfect academic record, All-America athlete, perfect work history with few job changes, no history of financial problems, and finish training at minimum times. Bust any one of the above and your chances deteriorate or dissipate entirely.

However, get hired, pass probation, and you can be a complete f___up. You won't be fired, as you might from other jobs of responsibility, such as being a cop, but you're just sent to rehab. You can even go to prison, which, by definition, is a felony conviction, and you can get your job back.

Sorry, I just don't get it. It seems to me that any reason that would bar you from hire should result in automatic termination after hire. I know that drunkeness on the job is good cause for termination from any job under most state laws.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back