• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

From Apaad We Won!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well overall this sucks. I have no intrest in flying until 65. Some guys do, just not me. Now comes the real problem. Be ready for a very complete physical.

Wrong...read the legislation. It specifically says the medical standards CANNOT change. I think this is one of the "have the cake and eat it too" clauses. I hope the pricks choke on it.

Hey Undaunted Moron, ever wonder why you can still even type?

Table 1 – Actuarial Study of lifespan vs. age at retirement.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Age at.......................................... Average Age
Retirement .....................................At Death
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
49.9 .....................................................86
51.2 .....................................................85.3
52.5 .....................................................84.6
53.8 .....................................................83.9
55.1 .....................................................83.2
56.4 .....................................................82.5
57.2 .....................................................81.4
58.3 .....................................................80
59.2 .....................................................78.5
60.1 .....................................................76.8
61 ........................................................74.5
62.1 .....................................................71.8
63.1 .....................................................69.3
64.1 .....................................................67.9

Now if its about the money, working until 65 will probably net you a cool million extra for the retirement....

If you just want to make Captain earlier, while you still have hair to impress the young hottie flight attendants, so that they are removing articles of clothing on the way to your hotel room in a trance looking at your 4 bars, then I can't help you...I digress..

It's going to happen. Keep that blood pressure down and live a long healthy life, with or without the 6 hottie flight attendants on each overnight.

Cheers

The bill doesn't take affect for 30 days.
There's nothing that says 30 days before enactment in the Constitution or in this legislation. Where did you come up with that? What the legilsation does say is:

`(d) Sunset of Age 60 Retirement Rule- On and after the date of enactment of this section, section 121.383(c) of title 14, Code of Federal Regulations, shall cease to be effective.

You're kidding right? Please reread this thread and see who's doing the name calling. The anti APAAD folks are generally the ones making the personal attacks.

Really?

I've never heard one int he lounge bullying anyone who doesn't agree with him.

The damage done will vary from carrier and from pilot to pilot, but don't think for a second that this rule change didn't cost EVERYONE something. If you want to make as much career earnings as you were going to as of yesterday, get ready to work a few years past 60. So instead of a few unfortunate being screwed, everyone is.

How is a 59 year old being screwed?

Why doesn't congress just dump a load of sand in my vaseline! wtf...another notch on the wall for how far the mighty have fallen!

How is a 59 year old being screwed?

Most of them lost their pension and now have to work longer to make up some money. I'd say they were screwed too.

Then there are some 59 year old pilots that didn't lose a pension or didn't have one to begin with, but they get the free ride of sitting on top of the seniority list with the seat/pay/base/qol for an extra five years. There's the windfall right there.

This will take some time for the companies to figure out what to do. This is going to cost every airline alot of money. Rules have to be changed, new paperwork made up, people bidding back to the left seat that can. Be assured there will be lawsuits over this. This ought to be fun to watch. just another example of the government sticking its nose in and making a decision on something they dont know the effects of. I knew that if this made it to congress or the senate it would be voted in because most of the government people are coming up on or over 60 and how dare you tell them they are too old to work!!:rolleyes:

The language of this legislation calls for review in 2 years. If you flood your airline with ASAP/FSAP reports and if you need to, fill out a NASA report separately, also report to the FAA any and all issues you encounter on the line with pilots over 60, perhaps they'll rethink the rule in 2 years despite of what the rest of the world with REAL pilot shortage is doing.

That's when it'll come out - there are not enough pilots abroad, hence to ensure their own economic growth, they have to bend the safety rule a tad.

We have plenty of younger, healthy, well-qualified pilots - we don't have to bend any safety standards.

I bet in two years things will be back to normal pretty much. I doubt all that many guys want to or even can go all the way to 65.

Latest resources

Back