• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

From Apaad We Won!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To those of you who are opposed to this change in the Age 60 rule, what would your position have been back when ALPA fought the imposition of the rule by American Airlines as a company policy and won back through arbitration the jobs of those pilots who were fired by American Airlines back in the 50's? ALPA opposed the imposition of the rule back then. The arbitrator gave those pilots over the age of 60 their jobs back. How would you have felt about the issue back then?

The head of Ameircan Airlines back then worked out a deal with the head of the C.A.B. to implement the Age 60 rule and it stuck back then. Ameircan worked around the ruling of the arbitrator and got the rule implemented by the CAB. It's been with us for six decades. Ironic that APA sought to keep a rule in place that American Airlines management was responsible for and that ALPA successfully fought through arbitration at the time.

So, again, what would your positon have been back then?

You'll be 60 some day. When you have the choice to continue working and some of you will continue to work, what will you think then?

I have said this same thing before but none of the new generation wants to here this side of the story since it benefited them. That rule effected many Pilots in my Dads generation that were tossed from the cockpit at age 60 before allot of the guys complaing here were born. I am glad "today" will be the dawn of a new generation of age 65 Pilots in this nations cockpits! Well done for the guys that made to fight for change.

Hey Undaunted Moron, ever wonder why you can still even type?

Table 1 – Actuarial Study of lifespan vs. age at retirement.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Age at.......................................... Average Age
Retirement .....................................At Death
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
49.9 .....................................................86
51.2 .....................................................85.3
52.5 .....................................................84.6
53.8 .....................................................83.9
55.1 .....................................................83.2
56.4 .....................................................82.5
57.2 .....................................................81.4
58.3 .....................................................80
59.2 .....................................................78.5
60.1 .....................................................76.8
61 ........................................................74.5
62.1 .....................................................71.8
63.1 .....................................................69.3
64.1 .....................................................67.9

Last edited:
I have said this same thing before but none of the new generation wants to here this side of the story since it benefited them. That rule effected many Pilots in my Dads generation that were tossed from the cockpit at age 60 before allot of the guys complaing here were born. I am glad "today" will be the dawn of a new generation of age 65 Pilots in this nations cockpits! Well done for the guys that made to fight for change.

Benefitted who? Your intelligence really is slipping, better hope the AME doesn't catch on.

We All Won

This means billions of dollars additional income to the pilot group, as a whole. We all won.

Sounds like you just want something (money) for nothing. I've got an idea for you, its called work for pay. Or maybe you just should quit now and become a wellfare burden on society.

Is that what you got when all the guys above you retired? Give me a break, the guy who is just about to turn 60, he is the one who is getting something for nothing.

You're kidding right? Please reread this thread and see who's doing the name calling. The anti APAAD folks are generally the ones making the personal attacks.

No, I wasn't kidding.

Read what Undaunted Flyer responded to, then read UF's post. If that isn't an ad-hominum attack I don't know what is.

That said, you are spot-on with the rest of your analysis on the anti crowd throwing around attacks. I won't attack folks personally (not my nature) but I will attack their arguments and most of the pro-65 arguments have been total bunk.

This whole deal wasn't about "fairness" - it was about $$$ and you and I both know it. And ya know, I don't have a problem with that per se; what I have a problem with those pilots getting a career windfall (benefiting their entire careers from age 60 retirement above them, only to change the rule in the twilight of their career and get an extra 5 years on top) at the expense of younger pilots.

In the bigger picture, I think Jim Smyth touched on it. There is a whole layer of guys that were over 60 (or turned 60) between 1959 and 2007, that lost their jobs, due to a ruling....If they weren't ready to retire, then these were the real losers. Everybody else wins in that they now have the choice to enhance their retirement savings, by working beyond 60, if necessary.
Yes...I understand the potential loss of bargaining power w/r to pensions, etc. Yes, I understand the shift in seniority advancement expectations. Yes, I understand the loss in earnings expectations of many.
Let's face it, this rule was changed in a shady way, and was bound to hurt people, both at its implementation, and in its defanging.
I also understand that there is an awful lot of venting going on due to the pain that this change has inflicted. That's to be expected, and to some degree might even be healthy. But I'm glad that at least this issue, in a major way, can be put behind us.
Time will heal, and hopefully, if you're young enough, you'll use that time wisely to adjust.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back