Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

From 121 Captain to 135 PC-12? Thoughts?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
kingaira90 said:
pagers are not so bad if you live near the airport and there are other pilots in a rotation. I have a fantastic QOL on a pager. I probably overnight 2-5 days a month.-kingaira90

I'm the same way, I live on a pager, and I could give a crap less. My QOL is wonderful. My company knows that I live about 45 minutes away, and they don't care, they just say 'get here when you can'. And it rarely happens. I've been at my company since January, (7 months), and I've gotten 4 'be here as soon as you can' calls. Every other one has been notification the day before.

In the meantime, I play golf, hang out with friends, am home every night, (I might overnight an average of 2 to 3 nights a month), and am loving life. If they'd pay me more, I'd probably stay here a lot longer. :)

DO NOT abosoultely leave, to go to single engine is career suicide, and remember, companies like JB and Airtran prefer PIC 121 in there hiring not the other way around. you can always fly 91 and 135 but 121 will give you more options on your resume than the Pilatus or charter....
121 pic is THE golden time to have, and at least 1500-2000hrs with a type or 2

hellas said:
DO NOT abosoultely leave, to go to single engine is career suicide, and remember, companies like JB and Airtran prefer PIC 121 in there hiring not the other way around. you can always fly 91 and 135 but 121 will give you more options on your resume than the Pilatus or charter....

Hmm, here's a thought. What if he's like many of us on the Corporate board who don't give a rat's sh!t about going to the airlines?

If the pay and QOL are good, take the job; even though JB and Airtran might see it as a detriment!! Ah dam*..... Life goes on.

Yep, I think it depends more on what Irish Pilot's goal is. If it is decent pay and good Qol, living where you want to live, by all means take it. If the majors/LCLF ops are the goal, stay 121.-kingaira90

hellas said:

Be advised, hellas post is 100% opinion and very little fact. As a previous PC-12 pilot for Native myself, I know of at least a half dozen ex-PC-12 pilots that are now flying for 121 carriers and at least twice that many who are now flying corporate jets. The QOL was great, the pay was descent, and the experience was good. Your profile says you have 1800+ hrs so it appears you are a little light in the time department. (No offence intended). If the company opperates other types, including jets, I'd say this would be a great opportunity for you to persue. The increase of QOL is just a added bonus. Haven't met a single PC-12 pilot yet who has committed "career suicide" by taking their jobs.

Good Luck

xrated said:
Be advised, hellas post is 100% opinion and very little fact. As a previous PC-12 pilot for Native myself, I know of at least a half dozen ex-PC-12 pilots that are now flying for 121 carriers and at least twice that many who are now flying corporate jets. The QOL was great, the pay was descent, and the experience was good. Your profile says you have 1800+ hrs so it appears you are a little light in the time department. (No offence intended). If the company opperates other types, including jets, I'd say this would be a great opportunity for you to persue. The increase of QOL is just a added bonus. Haven't met a single PC-12 pilot yet who has committed "career suicide" by taking their jobs.

Good Luck

THANK YOU! Saves me from frantic typing about my QOL. :D

Yeah I am a little "low-time" in the grand scheme of things...though it feels otherwise. Ive submitted my stuff to the outfit and if I hear from them I will surely have lots of questions. If it improves qol and has good opportunities for future movement I would most likely take it. I am happy at my current job...just not happy where it has us living. I enjoy the flying and its great experience (and is great in the logbook for a guy with my time...just past 1500 and logging 121 turbine PIC) but I have decided that getting back home is a huge priority and am just trying to find quality positions back that direction.

As far as the 121 and corporate thing....thats a battle for another thread, but seeing how things work (or dont for that matter) in the 121 world I am a little frightened by the thought of spending my whole life and career chasing a position and location that would meet my satisfaction...therefore...if I could find a quality gig back in the midwest that I could make a living at I would be MORE than happy.

At this point if I could get into any Fortune 500 company department in MSP I would be set for life in my eyes...I just have to find out how to make it happen.

QOL, etc.

I am a floater captain on a Hawker 700 and my "regular gig" is FO on an 800XP. I do this for a small pt. 91 aircraft management company.

I know my upgrade to line captain - not on the 800XP - is around the corner. I've considered turning it down to stay in the 800XP. Actually, I'll go a step further and say that right now, I am PLANNING to turn down the upgrade.

We make almost nothing but day trips (had one overnight in a month), we fly 3-4 times per week at most, the captain and I get along famously, and when we do go on a trip we go hiking and eat fancy dinners. Frankly I just couldn't be happier with my job. I hate trips. That's a big problem for me considering my profession, but I've got a 15-month old daughter and a little boy on the way, and having multiple days per week at home with them, plus almost every night, is just what the doctor ordered.

So my point with this is, go where the QOL is. It doesn't matter what you're flying, and in some respects doesn't matter what you're being paid, if your schedule sucks and you hate your job.

I'd happily fly a PC-12 for the right schedule. Heck, I'd even fly a Navajo or sum'n if I had to! Sure I'd prefer jets too in your shoes, but if you're a family man you'll take the schedule first and worry about airplanes later.

-Ryan

guys, you were missing my point, I was talking about options for the future for this guy, the 121 world seems to prefer 121PIC Turbine, if he chooses to leave now he would limit his options for future large carriers. Im sure there are guys in airlines who flew pc12 but I gurantee that was not there only time. So, this guy is now 121 getting PIC time, and as soon as he passes 1500 to 2000 PIC Turbine then he can go where ever he wants but, IF he chooses to go back to 121 larger carriers then, he can more easily! Get It. xrated my observation is FACT, if you do not have 121PIC turbine you cannot go to Airtran and not to long ago JetBlue as well, that trend will continue in the future! Going into Corp. world you must consider that the flight dept. can go at any time and options must always be ther for you whether it be another corp. flight dept or an airline. And as for the QOL issue that is king but so is feeding your family for the long term seems to edge that out. By the way, what 121 carrier lets you become pic with less than 2000 TT, curious?

Latest resources

Back