Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

From 121 Captain to 135 PC-12? Thoughts?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Irish Pilot

What An Industry
In my quest to return back to my home state I have stumbled upon a potential job opportunity. It would be flying a PC-12 for a 135 outfit. I have not researched the job too much yet so I am not sure of the schedule or pay (nor have I submitted my resume yet).

I currently fly 121 as a low time Captain but am trying to get into the corporate market where this job is.

Is it worth leaving my job for the gig? I only have about 500 multi currently and obviously the bounce back to single engine time may hurt me. Should I avoid this opportunity and look for something with twin time or should I take what I can get to get into the market and then network for another job? Could the PC-12 gig hurt my credentials? (it would still be turbine PIC but not twin time)

Thoughts?

Thanks!

If you find out the pay is what you are looking for, and it's an improvement in quality of life, I'd take it. While at that job, you can network with other pilots in the area and move into a better job down the road if you choose to do so.

Personally, I'd fly about anything for the right amount of money and a good quality of life. It wouldn't matter if it was single- or multi-engine, piston or turbine. Pay me decent and keep me home and I'd be happy with it.

Good luck with your decision.

Irish Pilot said:
In my quest to return back to my home state I have stumbled upon a potential job opportunity. It would be flying a PC-12 for a 135 outfit. I have not researched the job too much yet so I am not sure of the schedule or pay (nor have I submitted my resume yet).

I currently fly 121 as a low time Captain but am trying to get into the corporate market where this job is.

Is it worth leaving my job for the gig? I only have about 500 multi currently and obviously the bounce back to single engine time may hurt me. Should I avoid this opportunity and look for something with twin time or should I take what I can get to get into the market and then network for another job? Could the PC-12 gig hurt my credentials? (it would still be turbine PIC but not twin time)

Thoughts?

Thanks!

You cannot go wrong flying the PC-12. It is a wonderful machine to fly, but I am biased. As to your thought of leaving the 121 world to fly corporate, well, all I can reference to you is the fact that our outfit has several pilots on the roster who have left the regionals to fly with us.

-Where do you want to be in 10 years?
-Is multi 121 PIC time important for that goal?
-Are you HAPPY and having FUN with your current gig?

I asked myself this before taking a job flying the PC-12. Well, here I am, and I am very happy. Do I want to fly jets? Someday, but I am having too much fun right now....:) Its not everyday you load a plane up with 6 PAX and tons of luggage, depart a 3000' grass strip and land in BOS 90 minutes later!!

Feel free to PM me!

I fly PC-12's for a 135 operator. It's a great airplane to fly. One of our other pilots was a 1900 Captain at Great Lakes before he had took this job. For him, it was an increase in pay and a huge increase in quality of life.

If you dont mind me asking, what operator are you looking at working for?

Don't jump ship just yet.

I know of a handful of Operators that underestimated the Certification process. They are currently engaged in aggresive marketing and nowhere in sight of a certificate. Ask a lot of questions, get a contract guarantee and think long, before you leave the other job.

100-1/2

You're probably going to Native, right? I know a guy from Mesa that just went there, and he couldn't believe that he's actually going to get a decent wage, be home more, and OH MY GAWD!!! THEY PAID HIM DURING TRAINING AND EVEN GAVE HIM PER DIEM AND A HOTEL!!!! This is the difference you'll see at decent operators. I'd heard good things about Native, and now he's there and absolutely loving it. Of course, compared to Mesa, you could be shoveling turds into a garbage truck with a spoon for minimum wage and it'd still be better than Mesa. But still, you'll be shocked at the QOL jump. And hell, if you don't like it, quit!! Go back to the airlines. With PIC time you have options. With SIC time you have a lot of burnt ink. You've already got a type rating and turbine PIC. You can get a job somewhere else if you don't like it. You can always go back to a regional. Those jobs will always be there. You may have to start over in the right seat, but with a good amount of experience, you can pick and choose whereever you want to go.

Think about it and good luck!

CapnVegetto said:
Of course, compared to Mesa, you could be shoveling turds into a garbage truck with a spoon for minimum wage and it'd still be better than Mesa.

I think I just pissed myself! LOL

Not Native. Its a 135 operator up in the Midwest. They currently operate several King Airs and a BeechJet (and maybe a Hawker I believe). It would be huge as far as quality of life (assuming its not on the pager!). It would allow me to get back to be around my family amongst other things. Im still trying to find out details about the job...

pagers are not so bad if you live near the airport and there are other pilots in a rotation. I have a fantastic QOL on a pager. I probably overnight 2-5 days a month.-kingaira90

Latest resources

Back