Friendly request...especially to new grnd controllers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BuckMurdock1

Here's a typical (as in EVERY time) exchange when I call for taxi from my home (Class D) airport:

ME: "XXX ground, Skyhawk N1234A, ready to taxi from A2 hangars and copy IFR clearance to KXYZ with ATIS Z".

GRND: "Skyhawk 34A, advise ready to copy clearance."

ME:"Skyhawk 34A, ready to copy"

GRND: "Skyhawk 34A, cleared to ........"

ME; "(My readback)"

GRND: "Skyhawk 34A, readback correct. Advise ready to taxi"

ME: "Skyhawk 34A, ready to taxi"

GRND: "Skyhawk 34A,...(taxi clearance)".

ME: "(my readback)"

GRND: "Skyhawk 34A, verify you have ATIS Zulu"

ME: "Yes, I gave you Zulu"

... Like I said, that is the exchange about 99% of the time. If you read/listen to my initial call, I give you all the info to only necessitate ONE transmission from you and only ONE reply from me on the radio (taxi clnc and IFR clnc).

Due to either not listening to me, or some sort of ATC regs (which I'm unaware of), the GRND controllers at my field seem to insist upon causing 11 radio transmissions ...when only 3 are really necessary.

Seriously; I'm biting my tongue EVERY time (in the interest of ATC/pilot relations..and not aggravating you guys). When asked "advise ready to copy... ready to taxi" ..I feel like saying "I did on my initial call!!"

When the field is slow, it's not as annoying. --but when I know that there are several other a/c trying to get a word in, it's frustrating--for me and them.

I guess my point is: just listen up to that first call and assume that we can walk and chew gum at the same time (as in write a short clearance down while taxiing).

You at ATC all do a GREAT job overall, this is just a minor pet peave that has been building over years.

Thx again!! ..& let's keep each other safe..

PS- another radio peave of mine can be directed at fellow pilots:
ex: (while enroute under radio contact/radar svc): "XXX Center, N1234A"
Center: "N1234A, go ahead"
....communications brevity is a virtue, folks!! just say spit it all out.. (IMHO)

Good post. One point, if you're sitting there ready to write down a clearance then you are NOT ready to taxi.

Get the clearance and once that is done let them know you are ready to taxi.

You: XXX ground at A2 hangars with Zulu, looking for clearance to KABC.

Gnd: cleared to ABC direct, climb 2,000 expect 7,000 10 minutes after departure, departure freq 123.50, squak 7700.

You: (read back)

Gnd: read back correct, advise ready to taxi

You: ready to taxi

Gnd: taxi to 11 via A, cross 36

You: 11 via A, cross 36

That's how it goes...

I have 1000000000 pet peeves about pilots, but I keep them to myself.

I bet you like this one.
Weather cavu for 200nm.

"N123 do you have the weather at kabc?" hint 1
"Roger"
"N123 expect the visual at kabc, advise the field in sight." hint 2
(sometimes they will ask what approach you want, pilot answers 'the visual')
"N123 has the field in sight" 3rd opportunity
"N123, cleared for the visual, report cancellation to zzz center or yyy flight service, change to advisory, no traffic observed between you and kabc."
The immediate response is invariably,
"N123 we'd like to cancel ifr"
Auuuugggghhh! After all that?!?!
Just cancel well out, or at least warn atc you are going to cancel as soon as you have the field! It shortens the whole transaction by about 100 words!
(those who must maintain ifr flight plan to the ground, for company policy or faa requirement nothwithstanding)

Lol, that's me!

I guess I just like my hand to be held to the last second but don't trust myself to remember to cancel on the ground.

I'll try to cancel further out from now on.

; )

I bet you like this one.
Weather cavu for 200nm.

"N123 do you have the weather at kabc?" hint 1
"Roger"
"N123 expect the visual at kabc, advise the field in sight." hint 2
(sometimes they will ask what approach you want, pilot answers 'the visual')
"N123 has the field in sight" 3rd opportunity
"N123, cleared for the visual, report cancellation to zzz center or yyy flight service, change to advisory, no traffic observed between you and kabc."
The immediate response is invariably,
"N123 we'd like to cancel ifr"
Auuuugggghhh! After all that?!?!
Just cancel well out, or at least warn atc you are going to cancel as soon as you have the field! It shortens the whole transaction by about 100 words!
(those who must maintain ifr flight plan to the ground, for company policy or faa requirement nothwithstanding)
Oh...If I had a nickel for every time I heard that exchange; and each time i feel for the controller! Personally, if the controller even asks me if I "have the airport in sight"(ie 1st hint).. I'm embarrased. Sometimes, however, (especially unfamiliar airport)..I REALLY don't have the airport in sight till <10mi. out.
..And believe me: radio pet peeves are not limited to controllers...I have more about my fellow pilots than ATC. This just happens to be the ATC board on FI.

Again, my whole point is that in many cases (pilots and ATC) seem to create too many unneccesary radio exchanges while others are waiting to get a word in. And glasspilot: I'm ready to copy a clearance when I say I am on the radio. Often I have very capable (literate) person aboard with me who loves to do something...like copy a clearance. Not trying to start and argument..just make a point: how many times at busy (ie class B) airports does ground -while you are taxiing- give you a reroute, or even tell you to go to clnc delivery to get an ammended clnc?? I've seen this happen fairly often...including to single-pilot freight pilots.

While we're airing more peeves: here is one about other pilots on the radio (as I said..i have many about other pilots):
--Pilot entering pattern at uncontrolled field:
-"XYZ traffic, Cessna N1234A inbound on 45, left traffic, Rwy 30; XYZ traffic"
-"XYz trraffic, Cessna N1234A on left downwind, Rwy 30; xyz traffic"
-"XYZ traffic, Cessna N1234A on left base, Rwy 30; xyz traffic"
-"XYZ traffic, Cessna N1234A on final, Rwy 30; XYZ traffic"

..Nothing wrong with the above, correct?? Definitely got the AIM-recommended full call sign in there 4 times...(and rope for FAA to hang you with on the recorded freq if you accidentally clip a rwy light or something)

IMHO... who gives a SH!t what your bloody tail # is?!! If I am close enough to read your #s; we have perhaps both made a series of gross procedural nav and/or comm errors worthy of evasive maneuvers. (hint..there is a reason why they ask for the colors of the airplane when you file a flt plan-- the tail # is just so the search team on the ground can confirm the wreckage is your bird//another hint..when ATC calls taffic to you under radar service-- they typically say "cessna skyhawk", not "Cessna N1234A").
As you'd guess by now, the information that IS helpful to me, however, is your position (of course) and what TYPE of Cessna you are. Citation, Caravan, C-150, C172...what? When I do fly GA, it is often with buddies in their planes and they are guilty of this also.. and I make my point (and suggestion) subtly. It is almost always well-recieved. This is a pet peeve that is actually rooted in safety; not just efficiency on the radio.

Clearance, N1234a to KXYZ with information "A".

N1234a cleared to KXYZ airport as filed, do you have "A"?

....................HUH?

Coordinators asking if you have ATIS after reporting that you have ATIS is happening at alot of airports and not just class D airports. We have just stopped reporting ATIS on initial call because we are just repeating ourselves when the coordinators ask about ATIS.

Coordinators asking if you have ATIS after reporting that you have ATIS is happening at alot of airports and not just class D airports. We have just stopped reporting ATIS on initial call because we are just repeating ourselves when the coordinators ask about ATIS.

the coordinators??

Latest resources

Back