• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Freight job in Florida.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Been at FLX for about three months. Let's just say that I would be shocked if we weren't hiring. Even at the best of times it seems like they're pretty much always looking for pilots, and as mentioned above it was quite recently not the best of times by any stretch of the imagination. Upgrades seem to run about 6-8 months but of course that's very dependent upon your willingness to relocate. Pay is pretty good, at least compared to other 135 operators some of our guys have come from (and they were flying twins). Management is about as good as anywhere I've worked, and while that's faint praise, it seems that if you're willing to work hard, you'll be treated fairly. There is no pressure to operate illegal or unsafe airplanes. That being said, you'll be expected to fly if it's legal. Maintenance is excellent, at least at CPS. I can't speak to the rest of the system. In my experience there are few 8 or 9 hour runs. Most runs are either short, for which you're paid the minimum daily 7.5 hours, or 12-13 hours with a lot of sitting around during the day. In fact, I'm sitting around as I write this. Very few night runs, at least where I've been. The runs I've flown have been ~1pm-7pm, ~5am-6pm, and 7am-7pm. Equipment is very basic IFR minimum, so a handheld GPS is a nice cushion.

Obviously, I don't know anything about airnet so I'll leave the comparisons to the airnet guys who evidently know everything.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions, and good luck.

Regards,
Boris

Flight Express is worthwhile

Airnet is good no arguement there, but I currently work for FLX after deciding to not go with Airnet (not because of reputation it was simply a money issue and possible location being Teterboro where 24K a year would not work. I worked 135 before and I can tell you the management at FLX is great, everything they said on the phone, the website was right on. No surprises. Ram Air, its a flip of the coin with them. I have friends that fly or flew with them and know other pilots that flew there. 50% enjoyed it and the other 50% feared for their life everyday for 6 months. I've been at airports where the tey would shot a single engine approach in a twin not on purpose but they didnt lose a plane. Great place to build multi in a fast time though, 3 week upgrades happen even straight into a multi on occasion. Pay is what you make it, $80 a day no matter how long you are on duty with Ram Air. I hear the avg Airnet guy starting off can make 30K if working 5 days a week instead of 4(chime in on this Starcheckers if I am wrong). FLX is $10 per duty hour and some runs go right up to 14 hours and others are 4.5 with a $75 minimum. No guarentees on runs until the end of ground school after 5 days because it changes daily with pilot attrition. I lucked up and have a day run to evening of 12.5 with weekends off. $125 a day isnt alot to jump up and down about but compared to others where it works out almost half of that its better. Cant get rich of it but no starving student issues either. 3.5 hours flying and 8+ sitting, I'm not complaining. They never push you if its questionable, no body on your back everyday, even in Orlando the DO is taking care of other business where he doesnt and really shouldn't have to be on the pilots day in and out. Upgrade is 6-9 months, sometimes earlier depending if no one else wants a certain Baron Run that opens up. Minimum instruments, some of the 210s are older than you, some no DME, but that make sure you know your stuff before you leave training or you are dropped and the maitenance department is on the job. They dont just throw pilots out there to get themselves killed and if they have to drop someone from training they will. It builds your confidence and skills. We are all frieght dogs, the companies expect us to fly to mins across the board whether its Ram Air, Airnet, FLX or Central Air Southwest. Some companies may ask you to bust mins or bend to the needs of the company, I never saw that with FLX and never heard of it with Airnet guys either. Take whichever one is best for you overall, QOL, family and outlook and just overall happiness. Also, they will try to get yo time off for an interview and even encourage it since they see themselves as a steeping stone mainly. Fun atmosphere, relaxed flying even though it is IFR and a good bunch of pilots to work with.

Latest resources

Back