Freedom isn't Free

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OldManPilot

This past weekend I had the pleasure to attend the reunion of the 461st Bomb Group from WWII. It was an honor and a privelage to meet and talk with these gentlemen and their wives. To hear them tell their stories of missions and the total comitment to the war effort was truly inspiring. The stories from the wives tell of their working and waiting to see their husbands and sweathearts was also quite moving.

While taking one of the tours of Washington DC, we stopped at the WWII memorial. I watch the faces of these men as they walked around the beautiful memorial and I realized that as they walked around reading the quotes engraved on the walls they they were paying tribute to those left behind, while the rest of us were paying tribute to those still with us.

This truly was "The Greatest Generation".

On Sunday morning they had their Memorial breakfast which was presided by a resently retired Army Colonel chaplain. His remarks were quite moving. He reminded those of us that were not in the military of the fact that Freedom is not Free. It is paid for by the blood of those who have died and continue to die so that we can have the freedoms that we enjoy. They ended the service by reading the names of the airmen and members of the 461st that have died in the past year. It was difficult not to shed tears at the fact that soon all these brave men will be gone.

I guess the reason I am writing this here, on this forum is to remind us all while we walk through the airport and see these elderly gentlemen,with their WWII hats with pins attached to them, that we take a moment to thank them for what they did for all of us. Just a quick word means so much to each of them.

God Bless America

How true, it is neat to talk to some of those old timers. They were real men!! Without their brave sacrifices, we would speaking German or Japanese!!!

I'm drinking a toast to them now!!!

OldManPilot said:
I guess the reason I am writing this here, on this forum is to remind us all while we walk through the airport and see these elderly gentlemen,with their WWII hats with pins attached to them, that we take a moment to thank them for what they did for all of us. Just a quick word means so much to each of them.

God Bless America

Isnt that the truth..ive wanted to do that to many men that i have seen but have only talked with a few...others have been busy with family members and such...Damn, day by day we are loosing the REAL men. Sure hope i get more chances to let them know how much they are appriciated. Those boys have been to hell and back.

Greatest generation? Rampant racism, sexism, gay bashing… unprecedented economic growth during their lifetimes… Those guys had it easy and those times were great so long as you were a white male. Try buying a house now on the same income adjusted for inflation.

cynic said:
Greatest generation? Rampant racism, sexism, gay bashing… unprecedented economic growth during their lifetimes… Those guys had it easy and those times were great so long as you were a white male. Try buying a house now on the same income adjusted for inflation.

Shut the hell up! The "evil white men" that founded this country are the reason why we have freedom and have it so good. Its people like you that are going to ruin it for the rest of us!

On another note, I always go up to vets and thank them for what they have done. That just makes their day. They also have some of the best stories to tell. If I could go back, I would have flown in WWII. Thats when men where men and pilots were pilots!

TNPILOT said:
cynic you must be gay...shut the f up.

I was going to say the same thing, but tried to be a little nicer about it. But thank you for stating my thoughts!

cynic said:

your insults only leave you looking naive and ignorant

Latest resources

Back