Free First Officers!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll bite, too . . . .

Anyone who wants to be a pilot must be taught how to fly. Unless you have a father or friend with a CFI and an airplane who wants to train you for the fun and joy of it, you'll have to pay money to learn how to fly and earn your ratings. The entity from which you learn how to fly may promise that you will receive an interview with an airline upon completion of your flight training. Unless the entity is hiring you as a pilot with zero time and you must then pay for your flight training, this is not P-F-T.

In the case of military pilots, Uncle Sam "paid" for their training. In return, military pilots have to fulfill a commitment to serve in the military for a period of time certain. Maybe this is like a training contract. I am not comfortable with this analogy, but it seems apt. Those military pilots who opt out of the commitments early are exceptions.

After you learn how to fly, you may have a friend who likes flying, so you make a deal to split the cost of a block of time. Yes, you are paying for hours but you are not paying for training to work for a company. I rented airplanes for years to fly and logged ever hour I "paid" for.

Let's say EJI or one of these commuter airline bridge programs comes along and offers to hire you for a pilot position However, as a condition of being hired you have to tender a remittance to cover your training expenses. If you do not tender that remittance, you will not be hired. That is pay-for-training.

The fuss behind P-F-T is manifold. One reason is it makes chumps out of pilots and pilots into chumps. Many people want a quick way up and damm the consequences, so they opt for these schemes. They have no pride. Companies who require P-F-T, in my mind, anyway, expect people to grovel to fly professionally and will treat them as grovelers and beggars. P-F-T takes away jobs from people who've otherwise earned them. I wanted a commuter job badly ten years ago. That's all I wanted from aviation. I suppose I could have have P-F-T'd, but I would not because I wanted to feel that I was hired because I was qualified, not because my checkbook qualified me. Aside from that, even, the notion of having to give "them" money for "my" job smelled of con and scam. Overall, P-F-T demeans pilots.

Finally, the magic total time requirment varies from company to company. For example, years ago, as a rule of thumb commuters wanted 1500 tt, 500 multi and an ATP as their basic requirements. Numbers can go up or down depending on need for pilots (notice that I didn't use "shortage" - there is NO "pilot shortage") and quality of the applicant pool. Commuters were hiring recently with far less than what I wrote above and I've heard whining about how hard it is to build the 200 or so of multi to make it to the commuters. In my day, people sweated out the 500-hour multi requirement. Now, I'd bet you need more than the 500 multi to be considered.

Hope these comments answered some of your questions.

Last edited:
I CAN'T STAND THIS CR@P. PFT WHORES, AND THE SCUM OPERATORS THAT "HIRE" THEM. RIGHT UP THERE WITH SCABS.

I WOULD WALK OFF OF AN AIRPLANE BEFORE I WOULD FLY WITH ONE OF THESE FAKE PILOTS.

THE AIRLINE INDUSTRY HAS A ETHICAL PROBLEM. LETTING THESE PFT STUDENTS SIT IN THE SEAT OF A REAL PILOT. THE ONLY REASON TO USE ONE OF THE CLOWNS IS BOTTOM LINE PROFIT.
IF AIRLINES IN THIS COUNTRY WANT TO TRAIN PILOTS GROUND UP FINE, DO IT THAT WAY. IT IS CONSIDERED NORMAL IN EUROPE TO EMPLOY A PILOT FROM NO TIME TO THE LEFT SEAT. THOSE PILOTS ARE TAUGHT TO FLY THE WAY THAT COMPANY WISHES THEM TO FLY, AND BUILDS A FAITHFUL BASE OF PILOTS.
BUT THOSE PILOTS ARE COMPENSATED FOR THEIR TIME FROM THE START.

PFT IS A BLACK MARK ON THE FACE ON PROFESSIONAL AVIATION.

BY THE WAY, I'M NOT A 900HOUR WONDER. BEEN THERE DONE THAT AND HAVE A BOX FULL OF THE T-SHIRTS.

Wasn't Comair PFT a few years ago? I heard that no one liked any of the Comair guys, or gals.

Other than that, first year pay at most regionals is so low, it is like you are PFTing, even though you have paid your dues. I am against PFT, and something should be done about it.

Re: Let's sort this out....

OspreyFE said:
Ok guys, for over a year and a half I've heard this debate over PFT, paying for flight training, paying for a job, and paying for a job/training that takes a job away from another individual, etc, etc. I would like for you to clarify for me what you are actually upset about. My questions are as follows:

1. If an individual meets the hiring requirements (TT, ME, Inst., Turbine....) and passes an interview and a sim check, how is this cheating someone else out of a job?

That, alone is not. However, when this person draws his checkbook, that is definitely cheating someone out of a job.

2. If you go out and spend 35,000 dollars on a C-172 and fly it for 500-700 hours then haven't you "Paid for flight time"?

Yep you have, and you still have ZERO professional experience.

3. If you go to your flight school and post a "sticky note" on the board to "share flight time" with someone then aren't you jeopardizing your "quality" of flight time?

Depends on who's looking. PROFESSIONAL pilots will look for jobs.

4. Where exactly is the "line in the sand" that differentiates PFT (which is the only way to get your PPL, Inst., Comm, ME, CFI, CFII) and paying an FBO to go out a get 100 hours in their Seneca?

You are missing the whole point. Paying for initial certificates vs paying for your job are 2 completely different things. At Gulfscam for example, since it's a Part 121 operation, they are required by LAW to have an FO, yet they charge them $19k to warm that right seat for 250 hours and then OUT THE DOOR! But then again, the airline is run by a scab, so what can you expect?!

5. What is the magic TT number? Everyone seems to use this as the measuring stick..

Whatever the FAA specifies for a certain job... be it 500 hours, 1200 hours or 1500 hours or whatever each employer wants.

6. If you are filling a seat that would otherwise go unfilled, who is suffering more...you, or the operator wanting to take your money and fill the seat?

You are... because you are getting highly questionable time because you are not a required crewmember.

7. If people are worried about PFT'ers getting seats in aircraft quicker than them do you think they would get mad at military guys that could get out of their service commitments early to fill the same seats..? Some people would think that they are on a free ride (this is not a comment about service, committment, country or duty...purely political).

Whooooa..... DO NOT even go there.

I don't know about "taking" a job away from anybody, but PFT cheapens the profession. I don't have much professional respect for people that enable the shlock operators to take advantage of them. I wonder if these operators provide the kneepads or if these guys have to buy their own.

Thanks everyone!

I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. The responces were both informative and professional. It seems to me that the PFT term get's thrown around allot and sometimes isn't appropriate for the topic. The point was brought up about European training (like ab initio?) and that sounds just like what Comair does or has done in the past. What about Mesa and their "Ab Initio" program? Then, for that matter, what about companies like Pan Am that advertise interviews for successful students of their program? Or flight schools that have "agreements with airlines" to get interviews? I understand the clear cut cases of PFT where you pay 20 grand to sit in the right seat to build your time but what about the other programs? It sounds more like an economical debate rather than a question of how were you trained. Again my opinion. thanks in advance for your resonces. :)

Well paying for ratings/certificates is one thing...Its just paying for a made up position is bad enough. Its even worse when paying to be an required crewmember, when one should be getting paid.

When people talk about paying to be a crewmember being okay, it is always about "ME" ME ME ME ME. How it gets "ME" ahead of everyone else.

Well look at the big picture. It would be very destructive if everyone started doing it to get their jobs. But they justify it thru how it helps them out..Kinda selfish if you ask me.

But they dont mind hurting the profession and others after them, all in the name of "Its gets ME ahead faster"...

Mesa "P-F-T," again

It is an ab initio program but is not P-F-T in any way, because you are not hired by Mesa when you enroll and you have to pay for your training. MAPD is really just like any other flight school, except that it dangles "the interview." I was an instructor there briefly. Take it from someone who knows. Not every MAPD'er gets "the interview." I feel confident in saying that most MAPD grads get "the interview." I had one goofball who, by his actions, was denied an interview. A clear case of snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory. Then, again, although you may be an MAPD grad and are interviewed, it is NOT a given that you will be hired, although your chances of being hired are d@mn good.

I know European ab initio programs because I instructed in one of those, too. I taught Alitalia contract students at FlightSafety. The airline hired these guys to be pilots and paid for their training. Notice that I say the airline paid for their training. My students had earned their PPLs in Italy. They came to FSI, on Alitalia's nickel, to earn their U.S. Commercial certificates. They went back to Italy to finish. Alitalia has its own flight school in Alghero, Sardinia. Alitalia sent the students I had to Florida because it was cheaper to train them here at the time. FSI is well-known for its contract foreign airline programs

Indeed, some flight schools advertise that they have ties with airlines to obtain interviews for their students. I believe that ATA in Orlando has a tie-in with several regionals. But, you still have to fork up the dough to earn your ratings. And, there is no guarantee of getting "the interview."

I remember when I first read about P-F-T in the FAPA Career Pilot magazine more than ten years ago. Air Midwest had some kind of P-F-T program going, before Mesa purchased it. I recall someone writing that only rich people could afford that program. 'Nuff said.

Hope that these comments further clarify this issue.

Last edited:
As a paying passenger, I do NOT like the idea of some 300-hour wonderboy paying to fill the right seat. I pay good money to travel by air as a passenger, and do not appreciate the likes of Gulfstream Airlines having this kind of operation. I am angry that this kind of thing is still going on!! I expect to have experienced and qualified pilots flying on my flight.

I think that if more paying passengers knew exactly what was going on in the industry there would be a REVOLT and many angry passengers demanding an EXPLANATION for this kind of nonsense that is unnecessarily putting the innocent passenger at risk.

If this becomes more prevalent again in the industry I think I'll get myself an old 172 and so what if it takes longer to fly myself somewhere. I know I can trust myself better than some pft scum!!

The revolving door spins.....

Kilomike makes some interesting points. He points out that 300 hundred hour "wonders" are prevalent in the system and that he would outcast them if known. This concerns me because it seems that a 300 hour "I paid my time through the CFI ranks in the C-152" is made out to be more experienced than a guy who goes out and buys 200 hours in a Be-99... Who do you think is giving that wonderful $45 incentive flight to recruit new pilots? What gives.. what truely is the concern here? It still seems that there is just a plain ole' fashion' gripe that guys are getting time quicker than others. Some extremely valid points have been brought up by individuals on this board but what I 'm looking for is someone to lay down some details... tell us why one is better than the other.. and not because my grandpappy did it that way. Again, I'm not PFT'ing but it sure is funny how the only guys complaining about it are the ones who didn't do it. I would like to see a PFT'er show up and post some comments on the board (be it negative or positive) to give us some real feedback on this situation because all I've heard so far is one pilot trying to sell himself better than the next guy, and let's face it, you have to sell yourself with qualifications, training, and a head on your shoulders. But if you don't meet the mins then so be it, keep trying, and carry on. Bottom line, some people have been boned in the past by a PFT'er and it chaps their ass and the only way to bring attention to it is to throw the BS flag. IF that's all you got then that's why the programs are alive and well today and we deserve the product we get... I anxiously await.. Sincerely.

Latest resources

Back