Freakin' Wilma

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

polysciguy9

Anyone being displaced by this one? I'm in St. Pete and my woman and I are heading to Orlando for the weekend to get to higher ground. It'll probably run south of us, but doesn't hurt to be safe. Sucks, though - I originally got our hotel for Saturday and Sunday night. Then weather.com showed the storm would show up saturday afternoon, so I added Friday night. Now the damn thing has slown down so much, that it looks like it'll blow through Monday night. As I figured (given my luck) the hotel is booked for Monday night and I can't cancel. Good times ahead for sure. I'm sure many have it worse, though (Katrina folks obviously)

I wasn't here for the hurricanes last year ... we live in the lowest elevated part of St. Pete/Tampa, so I really just wanted to get my car to higher ground. Hopefully it will move south, though. I'm thinking the dang thing is just going to sit outside the Yucatan forever.

I hear ya brutha, I'm in fort laud myself (a lil west of i-95). I'm shakin in my boots, as they say that wilma may not even go over yucutan and stay at sea (albeit very close to Cozumel). If that happens, it may not lose steam when it turns our way. Scary stuff man... :(

Waiting for her in west palm right now... I just wish she would hurry up and do whatever she's gonna do! I think the potential for intensity is better for us now (i.e. slower winds), but who knows. There's a lot of uncertainty with this one.

Hear she's supposed to come up here (northern New England) by Tuesday. It may be colder than a witch's teat up here during the winter, but at least we don't have to worry about our houses being leveled by nor'easters.

-Goose

I'm just plain getting the FLOCK out of Florida....I hate hurricanes....plus i hear California is nice this time of year :-D

Best o' luck to you Floridians, yet again! Keep yo' head down!

The West Coast does have fewer hurricanes...

From a Florida native...

C

polysciguy9 said:
I wasn't here for the hurricanes last year ... we live in the lowest elevated part of St. Pete/Tampa, so I really just wanted to get my car to higher ground. Hopefully it will move south, though. I'm thinking the dang thing is just going to sit outside the Yucatan forever.

Last year, a bunch of people went to Orlando for Charlie. Charlie missed us but nailed Orlando head on. Wilma is projected to go south of St. Pete so you won't have to worry about storm surge. If you are going to evacuate, do it properly and leave the state.

VRB- Kicking the tires and lighten the fires tomorrow early am.

Latest resources

Back