• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Frankfurt: Tupelev & Boeing Jets Collide

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A post on another web-board quoted a news conference in Baden-Wurtemburg as saying most of the 93 passengers on the Tupoloev were children.

How truly sad.

757 was TCAS equipped…
Tupolev 154 was not.

ATC tried several times to reach the 154 with instructions to deviate but was unable. There is also some information that the hand off (between two countries) was improperly handled.

Crew of the DHL 757 was British, last radio transmission from the 757 was “TCAS Down”! Then a second or two later impact.

All of Eruocontrol has been under RVSM since Jan of 2002, FL290 to 410 inclusive.

Why the heck was a poorly equipped Russian Jurassic Jet allowed to operate thru some of the most congested airspace this side of the Northeast corridor?

Is there all of a sudden a double standard for equipment on the Euro side?

Heck we just shelled out several small fortunes ensuring our jets were RVSM compliant, JAA certification isn’t cheap!!!

TMMT
:( :(

TCAS is required in Change 7 effective March. The TU-154 could have gotten an extention for its fleet which is very possible. If they did whoever approved it just got a mess blown up in their face. The 757 was an ex-British Airways aircraft so it more than likely already had TCAS installed, but it would have been required anyway.

Anyone familiar with this airspace? An "expert" stated that the airspace was recently modified and could have been partial cause of the accident . Not sure what modifications/changes he was referencing.

God Rest Their Souls.

I believe he was referencing the change to RVSM which took effect throughout Europe in January of this year.

Paul Phillips (the DHL Captain) was a good friend of my father. He and my dad were both based in Bahrain.

My thoughts are with his family.

Wow cmrflyer - sorry to hear about that. My thoughts are out to the families and friends.

I'm reading some newer reports on Yahoo's news that the Russian company is blaming the controller for only giving the crew of the TU-154 50 seconds notice about the DHL jet. Now I'm not an heavy iron pilot, but 50 seconds is 50 seconds regardless of who you are, and that seems like more than enough time to me....what am I missing?

Latest resources

Back