Frances visiting Florida

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sky37d

Looks like the people in Florida are going to be visited by Frances. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT06/refresh/AL0604W5+GIF/310923W5.gif

When I was a TMB, and MYAT, I saw that most private aircraft were parked outside, tied down to cables on the ground.

I can remember when hurricane Bob hit New England. People who had boats in the water had them removed and stored on land, and the insurance companies paid for that so that they would not have a loss caused by the boat left in the water. I would imagine that it would be cheaper for the insurance companies if people left in droves and parked their planes in Texas, somewhere, and don't understand why airplanes owners, in particular, would sit it out on the ground.

Last edited:
I just got back from flying Frances this morning. It's wrapped up pretty well into a formidable hurricane, as every news outlet in the SE United States will tell you. Too early to tell where it's gonna hit but I would NOT wait until the last minute to board up, evacuate, etc. I flew Charley when it came ashore and it was truly sickening to see the storm intensify as much as it did the last three hours before it came ashore.

gkrangers said:
Once they fly out the Riddle fleet, I'm outta here..

Any damage to the old Riddle fleet from Charlie?

I imagine that they just left the Mooney's out there (have they retired them yet?), untied accidentally.

I worked at an F.B.O. at Victoria Regional Airport in Victoria, Texas. They had a high wind condition one summer, not reported as a hurricane or tornado just a high wind storm; the tech. guys didn't close the hanger doors quick enough and the wind caught up inside the hangar and blew the roof completely off. The aircraft tied down outside where undamaged, not so for the ones parked safely inside. :eek:

Riddle fleet

I noticed on the Daytona Beach webcams that the fleet is gone today. Anyone know where they flew them too? I haven't been up to our flightline today to see if there are any there but I can't imagine any were flown that far with the limited space we have.

Thanks for the help.

The riddle planes were flown out on Th morning and most were going to Alabama. Oh and we got rid of the mooneys a long time ago...we use arrows now instead.

ATR-DRIVR said:
Alabamastan....
If I was Osama, that's exactly where I'd be hiding. Not a single person looking there for him.

In regards to Frances, good luck to the Floridians. It doesn't look like this is going to be too pretty.

Would anyone happen to know which airport in Alabama they're headed to? Also is there any company at that field that has business with Riddle, or possibly an extended campus?

Thanks again for the help.

I know that Piper used to be in Vero Beach. I don't know if they are still there, but did they get any damage from Charley? Are they likely to get hit by Frances?

Just wondering. Their website appears to be down.

You folks in Florida, take care.

Latest resources

Back