• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fractionals and Tablets (IPad)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When it first came out I thought the IPad was just another Apple gimmick and wouldn't make it til Christmas... (I also bought a lot of Delta stock from 02-05)

I thought the same thing about the iPod when it came out in 2001. Whoops... :laugh:

Been thinking of getting an Ipad for myself. Found a program called "Foreflight" for 74.95( per year ), including chart subscription (VFR/IFR high and lo and all plates). The program includes AFD, wx, flight planning tools..... Anyone tried this?

Been thinking of getting an Ipad for myself. Found a program called "Foreflight" for 74.95( per year ), including chart subscription (VFR/IFR high and lo and all plates). The program includes AFD, wx, flight planning tools..... Anyone tried this?

An amazing program and worth every penny. I use it on every flight also got a Bluetooth antenna that sits on the dash and presto moving map on the charts, not yet avail on the approach plates only on the endings and the sectional but after speaking with them they are in the process of bringing them onto the approach SIDS and star charts. FBI info taxi info make big make small etc etc....don't even open the chart book any longer

This device will change the game within 24 months IMHO. It works, its smooth, has battery life... blah blah blah. We have so many manuals, handouts, charts, Jepps, FOM's, etc etc. And they all can go on this tiny little IPad.

Until you step on it in the middle of the night when you have to get up to take a leak. I tried to return to the apple store and told them "it just broke." They didnt believe me. oh well.

There is an interesting article via AIN here:

Some other considerations also covered here:

AINalerts >> January 2011
Avionics

Chicago-based charter/management provider N-Jet has started using Apple iPads for in-flight display of approach plates. Avionics & Systems Integration Group (ASIG) of Little Rock, Ark., helped N-Jet meet guidance in FAA Advisory Circular 120-76A and Order 8900.1, Volume 4, Chapter 15 and create an iPad test plan that includes depressurization and electromagnetic interference testing. ASIG’s rapid depressurization tests cost $200 per iPad. “We need to make sure there’s no bubble in a processor or arcing of electrical contacts,” said ASIG managing director Luke Ribich, “or air in a [lithium-ion] battery pack. That is a real risk.” N-Jet does EMI testing in its avionics shop, according to Howard Seedorf, president and CEO. The iPads replace paper charts with Jeppesen plates in the Jeppesen Mobile TC app. The FAA allowed N-Jet to eliminate paper charts under OpsSpec A061. N-Jet pilots are still using paper en route charts, said Seedorf, because it’s easier to plot on paper. Each pilot is issued an iPad, and the N-Jet operations manual specifies a minimum level of battery charge for dispatch. Pilots fit the iPads into a custom-built kneepad, and the device is not charged in flight or wired to the aircraft.

Ouch - $200 to test *each* iPad??? That could make a big dent in the economic viability, especially for large quantities......

The problem with using the Ipad is that like my Ipod Touch or the IPhone, you have to connect that thing to your laptop to do any software updates, and if you need to load the jepps onto it, you have to have a wi-fi connection or again hook it up to a laptop, so I don't think it is that great of an option. I prefer the standard EFB's that have a windows based operating system with an external dvd drive so that when I am on a long flight, I can just drop in the cd's into the drive an do the Jepp updates in route, Can't do that with the Ipad, plus it is going through too many changes right now, while a standard EFB will last much longer until you decide to upgrade the operating system, plus there are many more options with a standard EFB like being able to expand the memory, or watching a DVD, etc...

Ouch - $200 to test *each* iPad??? That could make a big dent in the economic viability, especially for large quantities......

The EFBs I have used range in price from 2000 to 4000 dollars. I think you can get an IPAD for 600 dollars. At that price comparison, the 200 dollars is not a big deal.

The EFBs I have used range in price from 2000 to 4000 dollars. I think you can get an IPAD for 600 dollars. At that price comparison, the 200 dollars is not a big deal.

Hell I wont fly without it now....updates itself easy to see for my old eyes (I can zoom in and out up and down) small.....Plus I get to play golf and poker from TEB to Boca....

Flight Options just announced line testing of the iPad in the Legacy and if all goes well they hope to have the whole fleet switched to iPads by the summer.

They are including the Jepp charts along with the ForeFlight software on the units with all the company docs in the PDF reader.

They can't come soon enough.

We're getting our IPADs at Citationair by the end of summer. management just sent everyone the E-mail.

Latest resources

Back