Fractionals and military

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SIG600

With the plethora of experience that the fractionals have to choose from these days... how competitive is a 2-3000 hour military (fighter) guy against dudes with 5000+ hours and 121 experience, and how are they with reservists and managing the time they need to commit to their "other" job?

As long as you meet the mins you should be fine. I just interviewed at CS and the focus there was on customer service vice how many hours I had. I can't tell you how times it was pointed out to me during the interview that fracs are a lot different then 121. They seemed to be looking more at people skills then how many hours you have. I also was given the impression that they are very military friendly. Friends at NJ tell me the same thing.

At XOJet time and experience is important. However, Military or not, "People Skills" are HUGE! Its something you're born with and can't be taught.

Good Luck on your quest. :beer:

Whale rider is right, I didn't mean to imply that experience and flight time didn't matter, it does. But the inter-personal skills are huge part of what they are looking for.

Woah guys! He did say he was a fighter guy... words like "inter-personal"... well, it's just too many syllables. Just kidding, SIG! Couldn't resist.

One of the guys in my unit used to work at NJA a few years ago and said they were very pro-military.

Good luck on your job search!

Skyward80 (<----tanker trash)

At XOJet time and experience is important. However, Military or not, "People Skills" are HUGE! Its something you're born with and can't be taught.

Good Luck on your quest. :beer:

I beg to differ, so you can't learn how to give good customer service??? Or how to speak with a CEO???? Or how to double check the catering order to make sure it is right??? That is a big brush you are painting with. This stuff can be learned, like flying a aircraft can be learn, it isn't something you are born with.

I beg to differ, so you can't learn how to give good customer service??? Or how to speak with a CEO???? Or how to double check the catering order to make sure it is right??? That is a big brush you are painting with. This stuff can be learned, like flying a aircraft can be learn, it isn't something you are born with.

People can learn how to properly interact with a passenger, or follow company procedures, but not all of the folks out there have an enjoyable personality. Some people don't know how to excercise discretion. Unfortunately some people in our industry are not willing or able to give the type of service that is expected.
All of the fracs seem to be focusing on hiring people that have "customer service experience". With many high time, experienced pilots looking for new jobs, the fracs can be extremely picky.
I agree with Whale Rider.Personality, people skills, whatever you want to call it is now the competitive edge that most flight operations are looking for.
A positive attitude can take you a long way.
Good luck to all who are going through hard times!!!!

You sound like someone who shouldn't quit thier day job. I feel sorry for you if you work in corporate.

Sorry Whale... Don't agree

When I was doin NVG's in the UH-60 I didn't know jack about customer service.

I've been in the VIP business since 1995. I've learned from some incredibly good people regarding customer service.

In fact, recently, we've had to put emphasis on our new aviator training because of an influx of M.I. (military Intellegence) pilots.

They have been flying "Gray" airplanes full of radios. They have limited knowledge of VIP flying.

They are very trainable and do just fine.

I would think this would apply to fighter guys as well?

They only have 1 emergency procedure that they have to know. (Eject!) (Sorry couldn't resist hahahaha)

But given the opportunity, they generally do just fine.

Latest resources

Back