• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fractional vs. owned aircraft, pros and cons

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It costs a lot for your own flight department, but if your airplanes fly enough- I believe they say over 300 hours a year per air frame (could be wrong on this number)- the costs of flying your own aircraft become cheaper than fractional. As posted above there are definitely advantages for both fractionals and ownership. I'd suggest putting the aircraft into charter with a management company (probably you keep your job, but work more) and at the same time buy a small fractional share or jetcard for the benefits that come with it. It would allow the boss to fly his G-V when he needs it, make money on the side with it when he doesn't, and give the flexibility that the fractionals provide all at the same time. This choice may or may not be the best one for your company since you haven't given all the details of your flight department and the needs of those who travel aboard your aircraft. I'd also suggest talking to some of the sales people at the various fractionals to get more info on the benefits. I wouldn't necessarily trust everything they say, but you could definitely ask further questions here when you find some things the sales people say aren't quite believable. The biggest thing the sales people get wrong or even sometimes intentionally lie about is specific airframe performance numbers- they will tell you the best case numbers and omit the fact that the airplane can only do that with one passenger at sea level and 15 degrees C. Good luck.

Very important points mentioned above. If you fly more than 300 to 400 hours a year is better to have your own airplane, but anything less than that, I think (I could be wrong) is much cheaper to go with the fracs. My I advise to you is call the sales people of all the fracs (NJ, FLX, CS, OPS) and compare numbers, is best way to get the most reliable information NOT on FI.

Good luck

We fly a westwind 2 and the nearest quote to our numbers was in citation ultra with citation shares but since we had outgrwn our citation 2 he was not interested.

CitationShares does not operate the Ultra. Maybe NJ?

X

My boss went to the fractionals and bought shares in a GIV for a few years. He gave up when he and his wife were waiting to be picked-up in the GIV and here comes a Citation that the previous passenger had thrown-up in, and they were running two hours late, the F/O started throwing the bags into the cargo compartment. I had to find some fabrezee and the boss and I ended up re-loading the bags. After this we received a brand new Challenger, Thanks’ to fractionals I still have a job.

Like everything else, it "depends". With my partner, we fly about 125-150 hours per year. He previously owned a jet when he needed to fly much more. I also have several friends with their own jet/jets. However, fractionals are expensive; however, they are very, very, very low headache. Other than a quick call here or there to set up a flight (most my catering is the same), I spend a few minutes per year on aviation issues and can spend the rest on business or with my family. Friends with a/c worry about hiring, firing, vacation schedules, costs, maintenance, upgrades, crews on the road, etc. Problem with the plane - not my issue (NJA brings another one); plane in for maintenance (not my problem); pilot is sick (not my problem). Do I always have the same pilots I trust - no; do I always have well qualified, well trained pilots I can trust - yes (and who will still show me pictures of their kids on their blackberry, or if no kids, their dog) Even if you are out on a 135 and charter you still need to weigh your flexibility vs. having the plane out to maximize charter revenue. Need a smaller jet (just my wife flying to see her mom) - no problem. Need a bigger jet and longer range (flying the extended family coast to coast for a holiday) - no problem. Do I have a plane on 6 hours (or less) notice when I need it even if my pilots are on vacation - yes. Can I budget for my air travel (other than a fuel variance) per year and know for sure - yes.

Do I have the ego trip of owning my own jet - no. Can I leave my favorite clothes on the plane- no. Is it decorated in my favorite color scheme - no.

Just my opinion. Please feel free to PM me.

Fly safe.

Owned aircraft pro: his pilots will NEVER go on strike. Ever.

But this website is littered with posts of (unprofessional pilots) who got pi$$ed at their boss or company and left them stranded somewhere and flew home. I am not taking sides or saying what their justification or rational may have been, but many of you admit (with glee) to doing it.

Fly safe.

See my post under "Corporate". I read it first so I posted there first.

My boss uses NJA for supplemental lift. Although they do a fine job, he prefers his own crew/own plane because "you guys just know me so I don't have to explain myself.)

Coming from an owner, not a pilot, I see "explaining myself" as the code words for "I am high maintenance". Does explaining mean I like my drink with 6 ice cubes? I serve myself. Or I like my fruit platter before my vegetable crudite -- again I serve myself. My opinion is that almost anything an owner has to tell the crew is about being waited upon, since owner services handled my catering and ground transportation requests which is the real "explaining". I generally like to leave the pilots with just flying.

Fly safe.

But this website is littered with posts of (unprofessional pilots) who got pi$$ed at their boss or company and left them stranded somewhere and flew home. I am not taking sides or saying what their justification or rational may have been, but many of you admit (with glee) to doing it.

Fly safe.
I must have missed most of those posts, but my intent was more specific to G4G5's job. Netjets has a good product, but it's not for everyone.

Last edited:

Fly safe.
I've never read of that issue, can you dig up an example?

Latest resources

Back