Fractional vs. owned aircraft, pros and cons

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

G4G5

I have been asked by my boss to come up with the pros and cons of each. I would GREATLY appreciate any input from anyone with experience in the matter.

Thanks in advance

I have been asked by my boss to come up with the pros and cons of each. I would GREATLY appreciate any input from anyone with experience in the matter.

Thanks in advance

I suppose you can't use the fact that you'd be out of a job with frac? Other than that, having flown frac, they're not going to get the treatment from a frac they're used to. They are much more likely to get delayed or dropped. We're putting our bird on a 135 certificate to offset costs, you might consider that as an alternative. Good luck.

Pros of fracs:

* if the aircraft brakes on the taxi out, pilots contact the company and they'll send a replacement. If you're in VNY, SMO, SJC, PBI, TEB, HPN, won't be much of a wait, if any at all.

* pay your fees, and forget about it. Let the company deal with the FAA, MX issues, landing slots, landing fees, pilot hiring, recurrent, OPS SPECS, FOM and all that stuff.

*If you're going from LAX-SJC, no need to take the Global and burn all that fuel, take an Xcel and save a couple of bucks..

* A flt. department is extremely expensive to keep.

I'll let a corporate guy give you the pros of owning, don't know much about it.

ps (I have a feeling this thread is going to get ugly, frac guys vs flt. depts/charters)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that L'il P - loss of control=loss of flexibility, higher cost, won't know their pilots, decrease in service, they will promise the moon and not deliver, ...... but you know all this already

Been there done that.
Get some fraq quotes for 1/4 share on like aircraft.
You know how much you budget per year an per hour on your airplane and compair the fraq. quotes to your numbers.
We fly a westwind 2 and the nearest quote to our numbers was in citation ultra with citation shares but since we had outgrwn our citation 2 he was not interested.
You know your boss and his sched. does he mind waiting on you when you are running late to pick him up.
on the service side the fraq pilots wont have the time or inclination to run over to the house to pick-up the baggs, get the car detailed while they are out of town, run all the erands we all do when we are on the road.
passengers wont be able to leave work boxes and baggs on the plane for the return flight in 3 days.
And after they are done with thier own plane they still have a asset that has some resale value.

Thanks in advance

CON: YOU LOSE YOUR JOB!

Of course, being a frac guy, I would like to see your boss come our way, but not at the expense of your job.

Many good points listed in the above post. I think it depends upon how much your boss flies. Does he want to tie up capital with a frac or would a jet card suffice? How about having your airplane managed by say, EJM?? A/c works, your boss gets some relief from charter revenue and most importantly, you still have a job.

:beer:

Last edited:
The BIG pros are 1) it's cheaper 2) flexibility and more options.

When you become an owner at NetJets, you will get access to our entire fleet. Going to Hong Kong? Gulfstreams and BBJ are an option. Going from Kansas City to St. Louis, get an Encore.

Honestly, I can't think of a con to fractional ownership.

Depending on your boss, one con could be the fact that he/she will probably not have the same crew twice.

My boss uses NJA for supplemental lift. Although they do a fine job, he prefers his own crew/own plane because "you guys just know me so I don't have to explain myself.)

That is not a dig at Fracs. Lord know they try, and with the numbers they deal with there is no way they can match that kind of personalized knowledge.

Advantages to Fracs: A bunch. Fleet diversity and utlization/ AOG maint/ trip and maint planning/etc...

Latest resources

Back