Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rocker's in Right Field

ROCKER,

Why are you so angry? Be happy Dude, you have a good job during bad times.
We could sit here and argue about 121 vs. NJA all night long but there's no need to because the answer is very easy. It's all about the individual and there life. I have been with two 121 Airlines and two corporate jobs. As much as Rocker hates life at NJA, I love it even more. Any major could call me tomorrow for a job and I would say No Thank you. For me and my family the joy of not having to jumpseat and get into an old airport car to go to a crash pad on my day off is worth it all by itself. Now again, I don't want to get into the argument about who is better because life is different for all.
Unlike Rocker, I will tell you about NJA honestly without slamming them.
oh yeah, one more thing. I have sat on many beaches and at home while getting paid Rocker. I could give you a list of many great overnights that have lasted more than two days

Re: Rocker's in Right Field

This is exactly the reason that I am trying to get to NETJETS. It is all about family and being around them more. Yes, I know that I will be gone for long stretches but, not having to sit reserve and commute and pay for a crashpad... well, enough said... Thanks for the replies! I appreciate your input and keep debating on this topic. I am learning a lot! :)

Stickshaker said:
ROCKER,

Why are you so angry? Be happy Dude, you have a good job during bad times.
We could sit here and argue about 121 vs. NJA all night long but there's no need to because the answer is very easy. It's all about the individual and there life. I have been with two 121 Airlines and two corporate jobs. As much as Rocker hates life at NJA, I love it even more. Any major could call me tomorrow for a job and I would say No Thank you. For me and my family the joy of not having to jumpseat and get into an old airport car to go to a crash pad on my day off is worth it all by itself. Now again, I don't want to get into the argument about who is better because life is different for all.
Unlike Rocker, I will tell you about NJA honestly without slamming them.
oh yeah, one more thing. I have sat on many beaches and at home while getting paid Rocker. I could give you a list of many great overnights that have lasted more than two days

Sup fellas, heres my .02 worth...

At a commuter or airline you will work 14 to 18 days a month.

At NJA you will work 14 to 17 days a month.

Lets forget about the money for a sec because it will change. How much is still to be determined. Probably not 30 year United pay but most certainly a million times better than a commuter.

The NJA schedule affords you more time at home but also more time at work at a clip. An airline will give you less time at home and less time at work at a clip. It depends on what you like. Some 7/7 guys swear by it because every other 7 days its like a mini vacation. I personally hate it but thats where I am so I deal.

As for the schedule while you are working, hopefully that will change as well. You do have to be flexible though. JLB, I luv ya 'n all, it wasnt for you.(I was you intrerview sim partner by the way) I was sad to see ya go but hopefully you are doing better.

If you are a flexible person then you will be fine here. We are certainly a young company, respectively. Things are changing.
Keep one thing in mind though, our company is changing for the better. If what we do is a bad set up for you then rest assured it is going to get better. If you like what we do then rest assured it is going to get even better.

Me personally, I could not imagine spending a career at a commuter. I'm in it for the flying and the money and that aspect of it gives you neither.(IMHO) career wise NJA was a calculated risk for my future that I was willing to take.

NJA pays SH!T right now but it is still more than a commuter you still work less than one as well, correct me if I am wrong(I might be)

LRjet55,

You cracked the code!! You figured out who I am!! Wasn't hard, huh??

Glad to hear you're doing well and are diggin the NJ way of life. Good post.

Gang, here's the bottom line. The grass is always greener... well you get the idea. I did 5+ years at the regionals and I had major airline on the brain. Once I got there, I didn't care what time scheduling called me or what trip they put me on. I was where I wanted to be. NJ was a job, plain and simple. A job when I had no job. (Those are the best kind to have, you know.) Anything less than that major airline job was just that... a "less than". I've often told friends that my major airline job was the best AND worst thing that ever happened to me. It set the bar to a point that no future employer short of a major could reach. I know a ton of guys who feel the way I do...and many of them are flying at NJ right now. As things pick back up this WILL change and, in time, NJ will be fully staffed with pilots who truly want to be there.

Most of the pilots at NJ have never flown for a major and don't know just how good life can be. Sure, there are a few who have "been there, done that" and like NJ just fine. Good for them. I couldn't hang, so I left. This is not meant to take anything away from the NJ group. A talented and dedicated bunch to say the least. Hopefully the much discussed new contract will bring them closer to what I'm talking about.

The days of the major airline Captain glory gig are coming to a close. Soon, it will be a simple choice of which type of flying do you prefer...scheduled airline or on demand fractional. You young guys just getting into the game will have to choose. If you're anything like the rest of us, you'll flood the market with resumes and jump at the first company that will hire you. Then you'll put your time in, upgrade, and start to bitch about how it "should be done", get furloughed and recalled, and have a totally different outlook on things. Ahh, the circle of life...

B.

Last edited:
I still wish you hadent left. I guy like you can help make alot of difference. Either way I hope the family is healthy and doing well. You made the choice that was right for you and that will always be the best choice no matter what anyone, anytime says.

Take all the posts so far, put them in a jar, shake it up and pour it out on the tabel and you still only have everyone's individual opinion - so here is mine. For the first time in my life I was in the right place at the right time gettig a job at NJA. Is it the perfect company ? No. Are there things I would like to see changed ? Sure - but it meets the three criteria I was looking for in a flying job. Financially stabile (Buffett never sells anything in less than ten years) - positive growth (we are in a temporary lull) - and good equipment. (noone can argue with that and

Take all the posts so far, put them in a jar, shake it up and pour it out on the tabel and you still only have everyone's individual opinion - so here is mine. For the first time in my life I was in the right place at the right time getting a job at NJA. Is it the perfect company ? No. Are there things I would like to see changed ? Sure - but it meets the three criteria I was looking for in a flying job. Financially stable (Buffett never sells anything in less than ten years) - positive growth (we are in a temporary lull) - and good equipment. (noone can argue with that and THEY FIX IT). Is it for everyone ? Absolutely not. I have seen more than one airline pilot come here, could fly the airplane, but could not keep up. Personally I am mechanically oriented - I like pulling my own pins, putting on engine covers, and checking equipment bays. I like the challenges of always going to different places, but then I also know people who are terrified of a circling approach. (It is legalized buzzing for me.) In closing, in the four years I have been here NJ has done exactly what they promised and things have gotten better for me - and I expect that to continue. And as to job security - just go through a security check point or ride middle seat on Delta 757 cattle car - or a folding chair on an RJ. We are here to stay and we will always be flying the latest and best corporate aircraft. Just how I feel and means no more - no less.

GREAT POSTS! - and NOV!

Guys:

again, thanks for the awesome posts! I appreciate it! It sounds like November will be the start up to the interviewing again! I just got a message from a source inside the company! I am excited!

Take care!

I suppose I rank with all the never-was's. My experience pre-EJA topped out at the regionals, but I have to say EJ can grow on you and it's not about the X, that is so lame, sure it's faster than anything else you can be paid to fly as a civilian, but it's not the space shuttle.

For me, I first came to Netjets for the schedule and that was it, ie. 13 or 14 days off a month that I could count on and not commute for beat the 11 to 13 days off a month I had and had to commute for, of course now I want more, days off that is. I don't know what will lure me away. Better pay - possibly (this contract is gonna affect A LOT of peoples thinking - believe it!), more time off - always a plus.

There's a lot of soul searching ahead for me, cuz I don't really want to leave, I love the variety. I hate repetition, doing the same routes over and over was a slow torturous death. It was always the same thing, upgrade in seat or to a new AC, great for a month then mind numbing monotony from then on.

I do miss passes & and knowing that at least once during my work week I had more than 18 or more hours on the ground to jell, have a few beers or go on a walkabout.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back