• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

** Fractional, could just happen **

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I see the responses to this thread have been pretty emotional. I'll try to keep it light. I've been with NJA for little over a year now and probably one of the truest comments I've seen made is that some days you have a huge smile on your face and other days you want to rip your hair out. So far though, that's true with any job. Probably the bigest beef with NJA is crew scheduling, but tell me what pilot never has had a gripe with crew sched? As for advice if you are considering NJA, you've GOT to be flexible because this job makes it tough for you to get all your ducks in a row. If you are inflexible, you will be miserable, cut and dried. Lastly, hiring.... NJA probably will not start hiring again until early first quarter '04. Hopefully this will shed some light on the subject and maybe cool some of the emotions flying around.

Good Luck!!

Hi!

I would love to fly for a fractional. I like my current job, but I think a fractional would be better.

I currently have 8 days off, unless the company decides to cancel them or decides not to get me home for my days off.

Normally, I have about 10 days of work and then 4 days off, but sometimes I have upwards of 2-3 weeks on before I make it home.

Several times I've missed a set of days off, so I've ended up working a month until I can get home for 4 days. I've stayed 8 nights in OKC. We were on call 24 hours a day for all 8 days. I've spent 6 nights in a row in SDF and ELP waiting for a trip.

I think an 8/6 or 7/7 would be awesome! I'd only have to work, and then I'd be home for a week. Any of you fractionals guy who don't like that schedule, write me and I'll do my best to help you get on our schedule. They pay MIGHT be more.

I think there's good and bad things about fractionals and airline jobs.

Also, the vast majority (>95%) of the FltOps and NetJets guys I've talked to have liked their job a lot.

CLiff
DTW

atpcliff said:
Any of you fractionals guy who don't like that schedule, write me and I'll do my best to help you get on our schedule. They pay MIGHT be more.

Trust me Cliff, your schedule sucks :)

My career order has been:

Regional
Major
Furlough
Charter
Fractional

I can say without a doubt, that the 135 On-Demand lifestyle is an oxymoron. There is no "lifestyle" at all.

Besides everything else that's been hashed out on this thread, my observation is this...

The best I can expect from my fractional (NJA) is 7 on and 7 off. Not too shabby. But even 1/2 of those schedules start on Sunday - IOW, you never get an entire weekend off. Even with the best schedules you only get every OTHER weekend off. And then, you're gone from your family for an entire week at a time.

At the airlines, it isn't too hard to get 15 days off a month. The difference is that you have MUCH more flexibility on how those days are distributed in the month. And it only gets better with seniority. I remember the good ol' days at my regional working Tues, Wed, Thurs with 4 day weekends.

Now, I'm not talking equipment, destinations, pay, pensions, blah, blah etc. I'll leave that for someone else. I just don't think we can knock someone for complaining about a 7/7 schedule. It has its drawbacks.

On a side note and just a bit OT... one of the BIGGEST problems I percieve at my fractional is the assumption of never ending growth and ever-present attrition. The VAST majority of pilots have been here less than 4 years. We were hiring street Captains last fall for goodness sake. You can never get a clear picture of how good you have things until a little stagnation sets in. If you think people complain now, just wait until they get stuck as an F/O with 13 days off per month with no future in sight.

That time WILL come.

Is a day off a day off if the comapny can cancel it or not get you home?

thems are funny days off...

:(

Thanks to those who reply with a mature post. Shame on those of you who don't. I did 5 yrs in the Navy, 34 yrs at a 121 and now 2 yrs at NetJets. All had their pros and cons. My favorite gig? 24 yr old A4 pilot at the Pensacola O'Club on Friday night! Every thing else is just a JOB!

To A4Forever:

Sounds just like my career. I did 5 1/2 yrs in the AF, then 34yrs 1 mo with USAirways and now 3 1/2 yrs at Netjets. We should tip a few some day.

Nov. / Dec. may just happen!

Well, word from NJA is that they may just start interviewing in Nov. / Dec. They are waiting on the final word or approval but, they may actually do it! The light is getting larger at the end of this tunnel and it is not a train that is about to run me over!

Good Day!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back