• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FRAC Overnights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
12 hours prior to your first day of work until midnight on the last day your butt is the company's.

I'm curious about this. When you go to start your stretch after, let say three days off, how DO you find out what you're doing on Day One? Can they really call you twelve hours into your last day off? and, more importantly, are you suppossed to be contactable during that time? Seems to me this might dilute your thirteen off, assuming three blocks of trips, to eleven-and-a-half. Do you find this fatiguing, or does it seem like enough time at home? When discussing NetJets with my wife, she finds it disconcerting that your schedules can never get better than thirteen or fourteen "known" days off a month, even after you've become senior.

charley varrick said:

Can they really call you twelve hours into your last day off? and, more importantly, are you supposed to be contactable during that time?

No, you don't have to be contactable until 12:01am on your first day.

No, they can't schedule you to work before 12:01am.
He was referring to company policy of not drinking within 12 hours of duty. Therefore, if you get called at 12:01am for duty and you drank within the last 12 hours, you're busted.

When discussing NetJets with my wife, she finds it disconcerting that your schedules can never get better than thirteen or fourteen "known" days off a month, even after you've become senior.

More than 14 days off per month? How much do you need?

Last edited:
Slight Overreaction

Please tell me Net Jet pilots are not like this guy.

I read in another post about dirinking on the road and what good is an overnight if you can't have a beer with your dinner. What the F#(*$ over? If you need to have a beer with your dinner or your life is not gonna be the same then maybe you should re-evaluate your life and your goals and character for that matter.

This was hidden in another thread. He continued to go off. This guy strikes me as one of those Sky Nazi geeks that everyone rolls their eyes at.

Please tell me that all military pilots are not like this guy?!?!?

CCDiscoB said:
:mad: Some of you civilians crack me up. You guys take life a little too seriously. Nice job hiding your weak response from a topic in another thread in this thread. Are you afraid of hammered by responses? You totally pissed me off with what you wrote. Do you really think that guys can’t do without a beer at dinner? Of course we can. It was a simple @#$%en question about the length of layovers. Are you saying you never had a beer with dinner, you f@#$en hypocrite? Who the hell do you think you are saying that I need re-evaluate my goals and character? Guess what, stop-loss is over, all of my military buddies are coming to work with you. It won’t take long for us to find the “tool in the shed,” and when you apply with a major, the word will be out.

This was hidden in another thread and he continues to shoot his mouth off. I hope he is an exception to the rule.

gump:D

NJA quality of life = fleet type

I can't emphasize enough that NJA RON quality of life is fleet specific.
When I was an Ultra driver, 12-14 hour days, with 4-7 legs, and 10
hour turns- show at "legal", were the NORM.

In the C-650 (VII), a 2-3 leg day is normal. One leg days are common.
A 12-14 hour overnight (or longer) is the norm.

Get some senority, and get the @#$%!! out of the Ultra. There is a very
valid reason why all of the Ultra PIC bids are unfilled, and the company
is having to hire pilots right into the C-560.

The Ultra is a great airplane, but Netjets runs it like a commuter.

Last edited:
True, a lot of it depends on the fleet you're in. Another factor is how you choose to budget your time to take advantage of opportunities as they are presented. Sometime being a "door clicker" has its place, especially after a 14 hr day with minimum rest the night before,(most likely several in a row), or a scheduled early am show. Learning how to budget the guaranteed 10 hours is the key most times, above and beyond that is gravy!;)

I'm really glad I asked this question. I learned a lot about the FRAC business. I do regret associating beer with a layover. I knew it would turn into an Alcoholic’s Anonymous issue. Although I know many you would have a drink if the layover was greater than 12 hours. Anyway, 14-hour days followed by 10 hours off for 7 days in a row, that’s a very demanding work schedule and all for $40K a year. I’ve got to give NetJets management credit, to make money in today’s economy you’ve got to work your people.

It can be a lot worse...

CCDiscoB, if you want to really get educated, talk to some of the
scheduled commuter drivers who can do 10-12 legs a day, with
(stand-up) reduced rest, overnights, while flying 80-90 hours a
month. Oh yeah....many of those pilots do it for 21K a year or less.
I was once one of those miserable wretches. I must have been
insane.
I now average about 25 hours a month and will make about
70K this year. Underpaid? Sure. But for now it sure beats
hanging dry-wall.
I WILL agree with you that any company that can trust their pilots
with the keys to 15 million worth of turbine equipment, should trust
them enough to know when to have (or not have) a cold one.
It's like the random urine tests. The FAA confirms that less than
1/2 of 1 percent tested show positive. Read: There is NO DRUG
PROBLEM among professional pilots.

I for one, am very tired of not being trusted. Punish the criminals,
not the law abiding citizens.

Last edited:
Not sure where the one poster comes up with commuters
flying 10-12 legs... 4-7 legs a day unless you're doing some
sort of island shuttle maybe.....the 21,000 a year is not far off
for starters though...

Comair,ASA,Skywest,Eagle and to a lesser degree Mesa,ACA
are decent jobs that will get you in to a Small Jet with decent
schedules and top you out at somewhere in the 60-90 dollar an
hour range... the standup continuous duty stuff is awful though..
Comair seems to do a lot of that...

Anyways... the fractionals seem to be a good option that will
get better as working conditions/productivity issues get
evened out...

If you want to drink get on at SWA... "Party Central" as told
by a buddy over there...

Thanks for the info from you guys at the Fractionals..
Keep it coming...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back